Using Network Bandwidth Monitor for Estimating Company Effectiveness
Submitted By: dstep
Rating: (Not rated)
In the last 10 or 15 years, one more important expense item was added: a modern company’s operation is impossible without a connection to the Internet.
There are a few ways of gathering the bandwidth and traffic usage data:
1. Using the SNMP protocol (Simple Network Management Protocol). This method does not require the installation of any additional programs on remote computers.
2. Alternatively, the system administrator can use WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) for bandwidth monitoring. The advantage of this method lies in absence of necessity to deploy the additional software on remote network computers operating under Windows.
3. If it is not possible to use the SNMP protocol or WMI for some reason, the bandwidth monitoring can be performed over some remote agents, which are usually included into the bandwidth monitoring program’s package and have to be installed on remote PCs for the traffic data gathering.
4. The bandwidth monitoring can also be performed over the NetFlow protocol developed by Cisco Systems for collecting the IP traffic information on local networks. The statistic on all transferred packets is collected in a special buffer and then processed. This method allows performing the traffic monitoring in large companies with complex networks.
5. Using a packet analyzer or sniffer. Using this bandwidth monitoring method, you can learn IP addresses of a packet’s sender and receiver. This allows learning what the Internet traffic is spent on.
You can configure the monitoring program’s response on particular events (for example, if a network interface goes down or critical limits of utilized traffic volume have been exceeded, etc.). This allows the system administrator or IT manager to respond on these events immediately and to repair the failures in time. Bandwidth and traffic monitor helps the manager to be aware of current organizations expenses.
Bandwidth Monitoring program http://www.10-strike.com/bandwidth-monitor/
Add Your Rating