File handling questions

[b][red]This message was edited by the ehsax00 at 2002-2-28 23:40:23[/red][/b][hr]
ok, my book says that you can keep whole class structures and the what nots in a file, and read them back in as you need them. So you would open a file, and create an instance of an object saved in that file. How? And how would I retrieve a variable? I desperately want to know more about file handling, and streams. Anyone know a good place to start?

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by the ehsax00 at 2002-2-28 23:40:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : ok, my book says that you can keep whole class structures and the what nots in a file, and read them back in as you need them. So you would open a file, and create an instance of an object saved in that file. How? And how would I retrieve a variable? I desperately want to know more about file handling, and streams. Anyone know a good place to start?
    :

This place may help u :
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/default.asp?lngCId=2642&lngWId=3

Do you have any how-to-program books? These books should have file processing chapter , discussing the topic u mentioned. I used the Deitels book (C++ How To Programme).

• : Do you have any how-to-program books? These books should have file processing chapter , discussing the topic u mentioned. I used the Deitels book (C++ How To Programme).
    :
    :
    My book discusses the fact that you can open and close files. Tells you that binary files can support all types of neat data. but only shows you how to write a couple words to the file. I wanted somehing that will discuss binary more. I need to be able to search through my file, until I get to the variable I need and then substitute it in. Lke a save file for a game. I want to save all of the players variables in the file, and when they play again the program will retrieve them (this will be used in leveling up, so you don't play for useless hours and get back on to be at a low level).
    [italic]I have studied long and hard. All I learned was that out of all the laws in the universe, one is outstanding and absolute. Nothing is for certain.[/italic]