Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Controlling the parallelport

GarbergGarberg Member Posts: 2
I'm just starting out with Visual Basic. I want to be able to control some customized hardware through the parallelport. How do I do that with VB? I want to be able to write commands like in Qbasic (out &H378, 255) in VB. Is that possible? Please help me!

Comments

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Member Posts: 3,948
    : I'm just starting out with Visual Basic. I want to be able to control some customized hardware through the parallelport. How do I do that with VB? I want to be able to write commands like in Qbasic (out &H378, 255) in VB. Is that possible? Please help me!
    :

Seems to me that the only way to do that with pure VB is:

Open "lpt1" For Output As 1
    Print #1, Chr$(255);

Search this site (and others) for a dll that was written in C for VB. Seems like it's called inpout or ioport or something along those lines... It gives you the In and Out commands from previous versions of Basic.
  • nobbinnobbin Member Posts: 110
    : : I'm just starting out with Visual Basic. I want to be able to control some customized hardware through the parallelport. How do I do that with VB? I want to be able to write commands like in Qbasic (out &H378, 255) in VB. Is that possible? Please help me!
    : :
    :
    : Seems to me that the only way to do that with pure VB is:
    :
    : Open "lpt1" For Output As 1
    : Print #1, Chr$(255);
    :
    : Search this site (and others) for a dll that was written in C for VB. Seems like it's called inpout or ioport or something along those lines... It gives you the In and Out commands from previous versions of Basic.
    :

I had the same problem a while ago, and found a dll that did the job, if your still stuck, Ill email you it with some sample code.

Regards

Nobbin
  • GarbergGarberg Member Posts: 2
    : : : I'm just starting out with Visual Basic. I want to be able to control some customized hardware through the parallelport. How do I do that with VB? I want to be able to write commands like in Qbasic (out &H378, 255) in VB. Is that possible? Please help me!
    : : :
    : : Seems to me that the only way to do that with pure VB is:
    : : Open "lpt1" For Output As 1
    : : Print #1, Chr$(255);
    : : Search this site (and others) for a dll that was written in C for VB. Seems like it's called inpout or ioport or something along those lines... It gives you the In and Out commands from previous versions of Basic.
    :
    : I had the same problem a while ago, and found a dll that did the job, if your still stuck, Ill email you it with some sample code.
    :
    : Regards
    :
    : Nobbin
    :
    Please do! I'm very new to this vb-programming. I haven't programmed anything since the C64 :-) Would be very greatful for any help.

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

_ < http://forcoder.org /> free ebooks and video tutorials about | Scratch, R, Visual Basic .NET, PHP, Delphi, Perl, Assembly, MATLAB, Objective-C, C, Java, Go, Swift, Visual Basic, C#, Python, Ruby, JavaScript, PL/SQL, C++ Hack, Logo, ML, Ada, D, COBOL, Scheme, Dart, Crystal, VBScript, Bash, Alice, Apex, Lisp, Fortran, Lua, Scala, Awk, Rust, FoxPro, ABAP, SAS, LabVIEW, Transact-SQL, Prolog, Erlang, Kotlin, Julia, Clojure, F# | _______