Needed: serious game programmers

Hi,
If you haven't read my previous post, I am new here. I'm in the process of learning C/C++. I'm a tad better in C (in the process of learning arrays, ach!). My C++ isn't great, but there's time over the summer. Don't worry, this isn't a useless post. I'm here to search for some serious game programmers who're interested in programming a little game. This will be my first time and honestly I have no experience. If you're experienced in this area, you're still welcome as you can teach me a lot. Even if you're inexperienced, I'm sure we can put together something :)
I have read other posts where programmers are needed...but I wanted to post my own and find a couple of serious programmers. You can be experienced OR inexperienced but I am looking to program in C/C++. Just to let ya know, I'm majoring in computer engineering/science, i'm in college, and soonly 20 years old. Please reply if you're slightly interested...you can quit any time, so you have nothing to lose.
Thanks!

Comments

• : Hi,
    : If you haven't read my previous post, I am new here. I'm in the process of learning C/C++. I'm a tad better in C (in the process of learning arrays, ach!). My C++ isn't great, but there's time over the summer. Don't worry, this isn't a useless post. I'm here to search for some serious game programmers who're interested in programming a little game. This will be my first time and honestly I have no experience. If you're experienced in this area, you're still welcome as you can teach me a lot. Even if you're inexperienced, I'm sure we can put together something :)
    : I have read other posts where programmers are needed...but I wanted to post my own and find a couple of serious programmers. You can be experienced OR inexperienced but I am looking to program in C/C++. Just to let ya know, I'm majoring in computer engineering/science, i'm in college, and soonly 20 years old. Please reply if you're slightly interested...you can quit any time, so you have nothing to lose.
    : Thanks!
    :
    :
    Sounds interesting. Can I join? I am not a good C / C++ Programmer, either, but I _can_ write stories, make some OK bitmaps, I can degisn the official site in HTML, and I can whip up some awesome game theories to save space, time, and do more.

• : Sounds interesting. Can I join? I am not a good C / C++ Programmer, either, but I _can_ write stories, make some OK bitmaps, I can degisn the official site in HTML, and I can whip up some awesome game theories to save space, time, and do more.
    :

Hey!
    Thanks for replying. Yeah, you can join, but see if you can round up a couple of other programmers also because i'm totally inexperienced in this area. That's why I posted this here, tired of just sitting here and trying to figure stuff out. C'mon people.... reply. Ya got nothing to lose, eh!

• :
    : : Sounds interesting. Can I join? I am not a good C / C++ Programmer, either, but I _can_ write stories, make some OK bitmaps, I can degisn the official site in HTML, and I can whip up some awesome game theories to save space, time, and do more.
    : :
    :
    :
    : Hey!
    : Thanks for replying. Yeah, you can join, but see if you can round up a couple of other programmers also because i'm totally inexperienced in this area. That's why I posted this here, tired of just sitting here and trying to figure stuff out. C'mon people.... reply. Ya got nothing to lose, eh!
    :
    :

Hi!
    I'm serious Win32 C/C++ programmer with general knowledge of DX7/8 D3D Immediate Mode using DX SDK (that means 3D programming using DXAPI calls), have experience in creating models and animation in 3DS Max, texture creation, 2D programming (GDI also, besides DX DirectDraw). However, I want to learn more about 3D programming and computer graphics in general, because this is very serious if you want to create 'good' games. What's the plan? Story? One of my ideas is sci-fi mix of fps and rts genre with strong story (Half-Life and like)... I've got idea about how this could be done, and how it will work, but there is lot of details of course.
    Best Wishes!

• I'm interested too.
    I expect to graduate with a Bsc in Software engineering in a few months time and being involved in a project like this would be a great experience.

I'm not a great C++ programmer (but learning), but I am good at C. I am learning all the time and there is so much I want to learn (OpenGL, Windows programming, DirectX. etc).
    I have a *little* experience in these areas (not DirectX though), but they are still such huge subjects and have so much appeal.

Jon.
  • OK, first off, thanks for letting me in. Secondly, what is the game really about? What is the genre? How about the story? Oh, I will try to find some programmers, too.

Gotta go now!
  • Hey,

I would love to hang around and help. There most probably isn't much that I know that you won't already know. I know a bit of C++ (I love to use C though), a bit of BASIC (TI-83+), a bit of Pascal (learning it at school) and learning VB (also at school). I am only 15 but I really want to learn. I would love to hang out with you guys and maybe even help?

Tell me what you think.
  • I already have work and project experience so you can expect that I can identify what's important and how to achive this. Most of you are very young, but you have lot of will and enthiuasam and that is what is great! First of all, look at this steps:

1. Story and Background?
    Let's start with a Sci-Fi FPS game; Lots of banging, explosions, enemies, different weapons and like... ok, but that's not all. We need to have strong story, belivable, because that is what makes player to go further, all other is just details which makes game more enjoyable. I'm not a story teller, I hope that someone can contribute here, because when we agree about this we can see, or "materilize" in our mind what is really that what we want to accomplish. This is also important because team have to be accomplished of people which love the same or similiar things, in that way they can more contribute to project, opposing to end up in some conflict and confusing situation which is not rare, belive it to me.

2. Technology

Programming
    PC Windows platform, I think that everybody here agrees with this; this is time of 3D cards, so creating some sprite-2D game is really out of time; we dont have money to license some commercial 3D engine, what means that we have to create our own (that means, belive me, lots of work and pain); however, we can choose between OpenGl and DirectX 3D, because that APIs support most of the cards on the market today; both APIs have con's and pro's for using them but if it's up to me I would rather use DX (this is only my prefered platform, I cant say that's ultimetly the best). We can even implement both API's in one engine but that things makes more complex...

Modeling and texture creation
    Modeling should be done in some 3DS file compatible 3D editor, whats yours opinion? Is there any shareware or freeware editor? How about Lightwave and Maya? I used 3DS because i had mesh exporter, with which I could import that mesh as object (.X file) into my scene, but this exporters exists and for other editors.

Texture creation could be done in PhotoShop or some other 2D tool, shareware or freeware, any suggestions? All textures will be from 256 to True colors.

How about music and sounds? Tools? Output can be a wave, or some crunched data (like mp3), and it is not really a problem how to programmaticly output that data ina application, but how about creation?

3. Work positions

Programming
    Graphics Programmers (D3D, 2D DirectDraw, VC++6)
    - I can be one of them, but who else can contribute here?
    - ?
    DirectX Input and DirectSound (VC++6)
    - ?
    Art
    3D Modeling (3DS Max, or 3ds file compatible) (one or two people)
    -?
    -?
    Textures (PhotoShop, or something like) (one or two people)
    -?
    -?
    Music and Sound (..., your sugestions)
    -?
    Story (this could do man from some other positon)
    -?

4. Schedules

This depend from following factors: story, technology, and available people, and it can be from few months to couple of years. Our main goal for start is to create game with one or two levels, like beta or demo copy.

5. Comittment
    Because this is not commercial product(or is it?), it could be better that this is open source project, what's your's opinion? That way if someone leaves, some one can continue his work.

I would like to hear your suggestions.
    Good source of information for game developers is www.gamasutra.com, check their 'features' section which consists of great aricles and developers project experiences.
    Best Wishes!

• : I already have work and project experience so you can expect that I can identify what's important and how to achive this. Most of you are very young, but you have lot of will and enthiuasam and that is what is great! First of all, look at this steps:
    :
    : 1. Story and Background?
    : Let's start with a Sci-Fi FPS game; Lots of banging, explosions, enemies, different weapons and like... ok, but that's not all. We need to have strong story, belivable, because that is what makes player to go further, all other is just details which makes game more enjoyable. I'm not a story teller, I hope that someone can contribute here, because when we agree about this we can see, or "materilize" in our mind what is really that what we want to accomplish. This is also important because team have to be accomplished of people which love the same or similiar things, in that way they can more contribute to project, opposing to end up in some conflict and confusing situation which is not rare, belive it to me.
    :
    : 2. Technology
    :
    : Programming
    : PC Windows platform, I think that everybody here agrees with this; this is time of 3D cards, so creating some sprite-2D game is really out of time; we dont have money to license some commercial 3D engine, what means that we have to create our own (that means, belive me, lots of work and pain); however, we can choose between OpenGl and DirectX 3D, because that APIs support most of the cards on the market today; both APIs have con's and pro's for using them but if it's up to me I would rather use DX (this is only my prefered platform, I cant say that's ultimetly the best). We can even implement both API's in one engine but that things makes more complex...
    :
    : Modeling and texture creation
    : Modeling should be done in some 3DS file compatible 3D editor, whats yours opinion? Is there any shareware or freeware editor? How about Lightwave and Maya? I used 3DS because i had mesh exporter, with which I could import that mesh as object (.X file) into my scene, but this exporters exists and for other editors.
    :
    : Texture creation could be done in PhotoShop or some other 2D tool, shareware or freeware, any suggestions? All textures will be from 256 to True colors.
    :
    : How about music and sounds? Tools? Output can be a wave, or some crunched data (like mp3), and it is not really a problem how to programmaticly output that data ina application, but how about creation?
    :
    : 3. Work positions
    :
    : Graphics Programmers (D3D, 2D DirectDraw, VC++6)
    : - I can be one of them, but who else can contribute here?
    : - ?
    : DirectX Input and DirectSound (VC++6)
    : - ?
    : Art
    : 3D Modeling (3DS Max, or 3ds file compatible) (one or two people)
    : -?
    : Textures (PhotoShop, or something like) (one or two people)
    : Music and Sound (..., your sugestions)
    : Story (this could do man from some other positon)
    :
    : 4. Schedules
    :
    : This depend from following factors: story, technology, and available people, and it can be from few months to couple of years. Our main goal for start is to create game with one or two levels, like beta or demo copy.
    :
    : 5. Comittment
    : Because this is not commercial product(or is it?), it could be better that this is open source project, what's your's opinion? That way if someone leaves, some one can continue his work.
    :
    : I would like to hear your suggestions.
    : Good source of information for game developers is www.gamasutra.com, check their 'features' section which consists of great aricles and developers project experiences.
    : Best Wishes!
    :
    :

Thanks everyone who responded! I didn't think I'd get such a response. Obviously we have a few people that are totally inexperienced (i haven't programmed any games) and a couple that ARE experienced. I have not decided on what game we'd be doing. I came here open-minded and to go along with also the group's decision. Perhaps we can set up a meeting or something. The ideas above are something we all need to respond too, and frankly I don't know who's serious about this or not. I, for one, need experience. Today is Thursday and I have a quiz and a test tomorrow, but I'll be free for the weekend, and we can go from there. does everyone have AIM? maybe we can do that...
    i'll be checking out the recommended features at www.gamasutra.com meanwhile...again, thanks for the posts and we will take action immediately :) oh yeah, and if anyone hasn't introduced themselves, feel free to do so. age, what level of schooling, etc. Only because perhaps we can all relate to each other. ok talk to you all soon! G'day...

• i am interested in it.
    i have learned c++ and some programming tech such as vc++
    and opengl
    but i have no experience to programming the games,
    and have no idear of how to make it
    can i join your club?

i live in china ,and i am not very easy to access the net
    but every week i can goon the net to receive letters
    and to see how the world is today

and also you can mail to me
    ttbox@china1mail.com
    thanks
  • I am going to address a few places. These are advice from another amatuer game developer.

: I already have work and project experience so you can expect that I can identify what's important and how to achive this. Most of you are very young, but you have lot of will and enthiuasam and that is what is great! First of all, look at this steps:
    :
    : 1. Story and Background?
    : Let's start with a Sci-Fi FPS game; Lots of banging, explosions, enemies, different weapons and like... ok, but that's not all. We need to have strong story, belivable, because that is what makes player to go further, all other is just details which makes game more enjoyable. I'm not a story teller, I hope that someone can contribute here, because when we agree about this we can see, or "materilize" in our mind what is really that what we want to accomplish. This is also important because team have to be accomplished of people which love the same or similiar things, in that way they can more contribute to project, opposing to end up in some conflict and confusing situation which is not rare, belive it to me.
    :

Well actually its been my experience that what one visualizes in the mind is rarely what one ends up achieving. In the beginning however it extrememly hard to even get to 10% of what you visualize. Also its hardly true that a believable story is what one plays. Now if you see Quake and its kind(story is believable ?), not really. Actually if I look from the end user point of view they just want to have fun and fun to many means being able to do things which they won't be able to do in real life. If you look at games like super mario, zelda, serious sam etc, weren't what you call stories that would happen in real life, in other words they weren't sane but they had some light sense of humor and overall they all were fun to play. Also one should try to stay away from games which literally make you puke(some games even advice not to play if you get dizzy playing it and kind), this eventually reduces your audience. The bottom line the audience wants some kind of excitement, so give it to them.

: 2. Technology
    :
    : PC Windows platform, I think that everybody here agrees with this; this is time of 3D cards, so creating some sprite-2D game is really out of time; we dont have money to license some commercial 3D engine, what means that we have to create our own (that means, belive me, lots of work and pain); however, we can choose between OpenGl and DirectX 3D, because that APIs support most of the cards on the market today; both APIs have con's and pro's for using them but if it's up to me I would rather use DX (this is only my prefered platform, I cant say that's ultimetly the best). We can even implement both API's in one engine but that things makes more complex...
    :

You might want to see this
    http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/24/1643238.shtml?tid=23

According to me that linux is probably is gaining some insight into a 3d applications. Also 2d games don't sell is probably a misconception. 2d games even today are welcomed by game players. Those who play the games rarely care whether the game is 2d or games like "claw" etc would never exist. Also as you are working don't you think its a bad idea to send them on an extremely difficult road without even knowing the basic art of game programming. Learn 2d first then jump into 3d, it will be a much more fruitful experience. There is more joy in finishing something small rather than trying something too ambitious which may be out of your reach.

: Modeling and texture creation
    : Modeling should be done in some 3DS file compatible 3D editor, whats yours opinion? Is there any shareware or freeware editor? How about Lightwave and Maya? I used 3DS because i had mesh exporter, with which I could import that mesh as object (.X file) into my scene, but this exporters exists and for other editors.
    :

As most of these guys are young and new, chances of having 3ds max is low, I suggest you try out freeware stuff like blender or anima8or. Blender is pretty good but I am not sure if its still available for download.

: Texture creation could be done in PhotoShop or some other 2D tool, shareware or freeware, any suggestions? All textures will be from 256 to True colors.
    :

Again as I pointed out its hard to have all the costly softwares. Gimp would serve as good replacement. By no way is it as good as photoshop, however it definitely will serve the purpose for newbies. Also I suggest you use the png image file format.

: How about music and sounds? Tools? Output can be a wave, or some crunched data (like mp3), and it is not really a problem how to programmaticly output that data ina application, but how about creation?
    :

You might want to look into ecasound. It may not be as good as the commercial sound programs, it definitely does have quite a good load of features. Check the following site :-
    http://eca.cx/welcome.html

: 5. Comittment
    : Because this is not commercial product(or is it?), it could be better that this is open source project, what's your's opinion? That way if someone leaves, some one can continue his work.
    :

As all of you are learning I suggest you put it under the GPL. A lot of advantages of this - someone might actually rip your code apart(programmers love doing this :) j/k *wink*) and give you some useful pointers. Also if some experienced programmers look at your code they might catch bugs you might not even be aware of.

: I would like to hear your suggestions.
    : Good source of information for game developers is www.gamasutra.com, check their 'features' section which consists of great aricles and developers project experiences.

Check out www.gamedev.net, they are the best resource for beginners, while gamasutra promptly points out that its not for amatuer game developers.

• So just wondering who's in and who's not?

Could you put in all the names of the people in the team in a list.

Plus (If i'm in) should we make a website. We could start of with a free one and them if we make any money ($$$) we could upgrade.

I live in Australia if you were wondering, and I don't have one of the best computers. I have very little game programming exp. but I want to learn. If you haven't read the other post, you should read it to know more about me. I also go to school, I am 15 years old. Tell me what you think.

Dartsman
  • I'll be in, but I can't commit too much of my time as yet, as I have a couple of assignments and 5 exams :( and this being my final year. So I'll be pretty busy. But after (last exam on on 31st May), I will have loads of free time, I'll just be job-hunting ;)

I live in England, I'm 23. A programmer with some serious ambitions.

jon.

: So just wondering who's in and who's not?
    :
    : Could you put in all the names of the people in the team in a list.
    :
    : Plus (If i'm in) should we make a website. We could start of with a free one and them if we make any money ($$$) we could upgrade.
    :
    : I live in Australia if you were wondering, and I don't have one of the best computers. I have very little game programming exp. but I want to learn. If you haven't read the other post, you should read it to know more about me. I also go to school, I am 15 years old. Tell me what you think.
    :
    : Dartsman
    :

• Hi!
    I see here lot of people that are scatterd around world: UK, China, Australia... I'm not host here but I wish you all from my part warm welcome and all the best!
    First of all it looks that I'm oldest here - 26 years! I work in one computer firm in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Programming MFC-WinAPI and VB applications/databases for internal company use. I'm also amateur game programmer; I use my spare time to make them, as I love and computer games, and programming.
    Gautam gave us his valuable experiences and it is really great that this kind of people join us in this board. Thanks Gautam! :)
    I will just mention couple of things to make things little simpler; when I mention game story, I taught about any story that gives sense to what is going on during gameplay, highlight for action; thats all, nothing else (i think that zell1388 could contribute because he mentioned something abot story telling). When we agree upon this someone of us could set up some web site.
    When it's up to 2D vs 3D technology my opinion is to go "more difficult" way; if you are new programmer, you will suffer more, you will want to give up and throw all away - but on the end, you will also learn more, and be more proud of yourself; "iron is shaped while it's hot!"; if you want to learn more about 3D programming, DON'T be afraid of math! (xshwu told that he could join in, I'm in DX his in OGL maybe we could agree upon something)
    But when it's up to art part it's not relly matter would they create art just for 3D game - same (or similiar) pre-rendered models, textures, music and sound could be used and in some 2D game also.
    GPL licence and free distribution is also maybe the best choice, because and my commitment may vary from factors like work responsobilities, certification exams, girlfriend :) What is most important is that we will create game that we all would like to play, without cliches and managers that hang over your head all the time.
    Also one question, does any of this 3D tools let you export models in some more popular format, compatible with 3DS or Maya? How well they are documented?
    And for speedyprogramr, could we chat on some irc channel (like irc.funet.fi), I think thats the best way even for those one that have only terminal access.
    Best Wishes!
    netom@tesla.rcub.bg.ac.yu

• Thanks for replying netom and the rest of you. heh, what a response! Alright, i'm a little intimidated here myself, as I've never programmed anything other than simple programs (about to learn 2-d arrays in C and my C++ is very basic). We'll all definitely have to use an irc chat some time this weekend....for now, it'd be effective if I email everyone (which i can tomorrow morning) and see if we can set something up.
    I have a few questions, quite a few actually. Netom, you were saying we should keep the game GPL license? What does that mean? (Respond whenever you have time).
    As for game ideas....I'm more into RPGs than, say, FPS games. Though I did play Max Payne all the way through (on the 'box). That was not bad :) I like dramatic RPGs (and i'm currently playing FFX, which is pretty cool). Anyways, I'd like to see what EVERYONE wants to do, and do not be afraid to voice your opinions. Another point...us noobs (at least) don't have professional programs like Photoshop and stuff. We gotta discuss what stuff we should use.
    To summarize all my blabbing, we will/can get together over the weekend to discuss how to assign the various parts (like story, sound, etc) and maybe we can pair people up like inexperienced with someone experienced. That'll be the best way to learn, i think! Second, what software/programs we'll use. Third, what kind of game, etc. Finally we'll discuss if we need a website or what not.
    Before I"m off to Econ to take the stupid test and the Garbage concert (heh yep!), one question......i've never made a game, but I'm up to learning a 3D game..that shouldn't be a problem right? err, hope not!
    Ok, i'm off. I'll see you excellent people tomorrow...and call me "Moon" :) My nickname...peace out!

• Let me point out again. Its not bad to do a small 2d game at all. In fact it may give you a lot of skills required for 3d games in the future. You might wonder why I am stressing at not going deep into 3d at the moment. The simple reason is its easy to get bogged down with the enormous amount of code involved in 3d. I am not saying that you might not be able to pull it off, but at the same time its easy to point out that its gonna be extremely hard to pull it off. Now even with a lot of experience Quake wasn't done in a day.

Regarding GPL you should give me the credit :p. To know more about it look at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

Regarding a set of softwares Didn't you guys read my other post ? I pointed out a set of substitutes. As beginners you shouldn't be needing much at all.

: Thanks for replying netom and the rest of you. heh, what a response! Alright, i'm a little intimidated here myself, as I've never programmed anything other than simple programs (about to learn 2-d arrays in C and my C++ is very basic). We'll all definitely have to use an irc chat some time this weekend....for now, it'd be effective if I email everyone (which i can tomorrow morning) and see if we can set something up.

: I have a few questions, quite a few actually. Netom, you were saying we should keep the game GPL license? What does that mean? (Respond whenever you have time).

: As for game ideas....I'm more into RPGs than, say, FPS games. Though I did play Max Payne all the way through (on the 'box). That was not bad :) I like dramatic RPGs (and i'm currently playing FFX, which is pretty cool). Anyways, I'd like to see what EVERYONE wants to do, and do not be afraid to voice your opinions. Another point...us noobs (at least) don't have professional programs like Photoshop and stuff. We gotta discuss what stuff we should use.
    :