Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Needed: serious game programmers

Comments

• dartsmandartsman Member Posts: 88
    So just wondering who's in and who's not?

Could you put in all the names of the people in the team in a list.

Plus (If i'm in) should we make a website. We could start of with a free one and them if we make any money ($$$) we could upgrade.

I live in Australia if you were wondering, and I don't have one of the best computers. I have very little game programming exp. but I want to learn. If you haven't read the other post, you should read it to know more about me. I also go to school, I am 15 years old. Tell me what you think.

Dartsman
  • jon_241jon_241 Member Posts: 45
    I'll be in, but I can't commit too much of my time as yet, as I have a couple of assignments and 5 exams :( and this being my final year. So I'll be pretty busy. But after (last exam on on 31st May), I will have loads of free time, I'll just be job-hunting ;)

I live in England, I'm 23. A programmer with some serious ambitions.

jon.

: So just wondering who's in and who's not?
    :
    : Could you put in all the names of the people in the team in a list.
    :
    : Plus (If i'm in) should we make a website. We could start of with a free one and them if we make any money ($$$) we could upgrade.
    :
    : I live in Australia if you were wondering, and I don't have one of the best computers. I have very little game programming exp. but I want to learn. If you haven't read the other post, you should read it to know more about me. I also go to school, I am 15 years old. Tell me what you think.
    :
    : Dartsman
    :

• netomnetom Member Posts: 15
    Hi!
    I see here lot of people that are scatterd around world: UK, China, Australia... I'm not host here but I wish you all from my part warm welcome and all the best!
    First of all it looks that I'm oldest here - 26 years! I work in one computer firm in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Programming MFC-WinAPI and VB applications/databases for internal company use. I'm also amateur game programmer; I use my spare time to make them, as I love and computer games, and programming.
    Gautam gave us his valuable experiences and it is really great that this kind of people join us in this board. Thanks Gautam! :)
    I will just mention couple of things to make things little simpler; when I mention game story, I taught about any story that gives sense to what is going on during gameplay, highlight for action; thats all, nothing else (i think that zell1388 could contribute because he mentioned something abot story telling). When we agree upon this someone of us could set up some web site.
    When it's up to 2D vs 3D technology my opinion is to go "more difficult" way; if you are new programmer, you will suffer more, you will want to give up and throw all away - but on the end, you will also learn more, and be more proud of yourself; "iron is shaped while it's hot!"; if you want to learn more about 3D programming, DON'T be afraid of math! (xshwu told that he could join in, I'm in DX his in OGL maybe we could agree upon something)
    But when it's up to art part it's not relly matter would they create art just for 3D game - same (or similiar) pre-rendered models, textures, music and sound could be used and in some 2D game also.
    GPL licence and free distribution is also maybe the best choice, because and my commitment may vary from factors like work responsobilities, certification exams, girlfriend :) What is most important is that we will create game that we all would like to play, without cliches and managers that hang over your head all the time.
    Also one question, does any of this 3D tools let you export models in some more popular format, compatible with 3DS or Maya? How well they are documented?
    And for speedyprogramr, could we chat on some irc channel (like irc.funet.fi), I think thats the best way even for those one that have only terminal access.
    Best Wishes!
    [email protected]

• speedyprogramrspeedyprogramr Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for replying netom and the rest of you. heh, what a response! Alright, i'm a little intimidated here myself, as I've never programmed anything other than simple programs (about to learn 2-d arrays in C and my C++ is very basic). We'll all definitely have to use an irc chat some time this weekend....for now, it'd be effective if I email everyone (which i can tomorrow morning) and see if we can set something up.
    I have a few questions, quite a few actually. Netom, you were saying we should keep the game GPL license? What does that mean? (Respond whenever you have time).
    As for game ideas....I'm more into RPGs than, say, FPS games. Though I did play Max Payne all the way through (on the 'box). That was not bad :) I like dramatic RPGs (and i'm currently playing FFX, which is pretty cool). Anyways, I'd like to see what EVERYONE wants to do, and do not be afraid to voice your opinions. Another point...us noobs (at least) don't have professional programs like Photoshop and stuff. We gotta discuss what stuff we should use.
    To summarize all my blabbing, we will/can get together over the weekend to discuss how to assign the various parts (like story, sound, etc) and maybe we can pair people up like inexperienced with someone experienced. That'll be the best way to learn, i think! Second, what software/programs we'll use. Third, what kind of game, etc. Finally we'll discuss if we need a website or what not.
    Before I"m off to Econ to take the stupid test and the Garbage concert (heh yep!), one question......i've never made a game, but I'm up to learning a 3D game..that shouldn't be a problem right? err, hope not!
    Ok, i'm off. I'll see you excellent people tomorrow...and call me "Moon" :) My nickname...peace out!

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Let me point out again. Its not bad to do a small 2d game at all. In fact it may give you a lot of skills required for 3d games in the future. You might wonder why I am stressing at not going deep into 3d at the moment. The simple reason is its easy to get bogged down with the enormous amount of code involved in 3d. I am not saying that you might not be able to pull it off, but at the same time its easy to point out that its gonna be extremely hard to pull it off. Now even with a lot of experience Quake wasn't done in a day.

Regarding GPL you should give me the credit :p. To know more about it look at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

Regarding a set of softwares Didn't you guys read my other post ? I pointed out a set of substitutes. As beginners you shouldn't be needing much at all.

: Thanks for replying netom and the rest of you. heh, what a response! Alright, i'm a little intimidated here myself, as I've never programmed anything other than simple programs (about to learn 2-d arrays in C and my C++ is very basic). We'll all definitely have to use an irc chat some time this weekend....for now, it'd be effective if I email everyone (which i can tomorrow morning) and see if we can set something up.

: I have a few questions, quite a few actually. Netom, you were saying we should keep the game GPL license? What does that mean? (Respond whenever you have time).

: As for game ideas....I'm more into RPGs than, say, FPS games. Though I did play Max Payne all the way through (on the 'box). That was not bad :) I like dramatic RPGs (and i'm currently playing FFX, which is pretty cool). Anyways, I'd like to see what EVERYONE wants to do, and do not be afraid to voice your opinions. Another point...us noobs (at least) don't have professional programs like Photoshop and stuff. We gotta discuss what stuff we should use.
    :

I feel 2d would be a much better place to start for game programming. But first for those of us who do not have extensive (or none at all) experience would need to read up on it and practice (Windows, DirectX, OpenGL). Plus some 2d maths would be interesting. I am genuinely interested in maths honest!! ;)

jon.
  • gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hey netom,
    Check anim8or out. It has a lot of features.

[offtopic]
    As age/country is being discussed here, I am 21 and from India.
    Just couldn't help it :P
    [/offtopic]

: Hi!
    : I see here lot of people that are scatterd around world: UK, China, Australia... I'm not host here but I wish you all from my part warm welcome and all the best!
    : First of all it looks that I'm oldest here - 26 years! I work in one computer firm in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Programming MFC-WinAPI and VB applications/databases for internal company use. I'm also amateur game programmer; I use my spare time to make them, as I love and computer games, and programming.
    : Gautam gave us his valuable experiences and it is really great that this kind of people join us in this board. Thanks Gautam! :)
    : I will just mention couple of things to make things little simpler; when I mention game story, I taught about any story that gives sense to what is going on during gameplay, highlight for action; thats all, nothing else (i think that zell1388 could contribute because he mentioned something abot story telling). When we agree upon this someone of us could set up some web site.
    : When it's up to 2D vs 3D technology my opinion is to go "more difficult" way; if you are new programmer, you will suffer more, you will want to give up and throw all away - but on the end, you will also learn more, and be more proud of yourself; "iron is shaped while it's hot!"; if you want to learn more about 3D programming, DON'T be afraid of math! (xshwu told that he could join in, I'm in DX his in OGL maybe we could agree upon something)
    : But when it's up to art part it's not relly matter would they create art just for 3D game - same (or similiar) pre-rendered models, textures, music and sound could be used and in some 2D game also.
    : GPL licence and free distribution is also maybe the best choice, because and my commitment may vary from factors like work responsobilities, certification exams, girlfriend :) What is most important is that we will create game that we all would like to play, without cliches and managers that hang over your head all the time.
    : Also one question, does any of this 3D tools let you export models in some more popular format, compatible with 3DS or Maya? How well they are documented?
    : And for speedyprogramr, could we chat on some irc channel (like irc.funet.fi), I think thats the best way even for those one that have only terminal access.
    : Best Wishes!
    : [email protected]
    :
    :
    :

• dartsmandartsman Member Posts: 88
    Please tell me who is in and who isn't in. Put a list of there names/nick names.

What do you mean by get together?

Does anyone have a hotmail address. We could use MSN.

Bye

Dartsman

Ps I think that I have already told you this but I am 15 (turning 16 in 3 months) and I live in Australia. I am sort of making a game also, but this is a really cheesy game. It's like a Text Adventure but it have movement and is like a ASCII RPG. I can't tell you much more than that.
    I have MSN.

My names Jon (if u hadn't have guessed) and my nicks are usually just Jon or "J"!

: Please tell me who is in and who isn't in. Put a list of there names/nick names.
    :
    : What do you mean by get together?
    :
    : Does anyone have a hotmail address. We could use MSN.
    :
    : Bye
    :
    : Dartsman
    :
    :
    : Ps I think that I have already told you this but I am 15 (turning 16 in 3 months) and I live in Australia. I am sort of making a game also, but this is a really cheesy game. It's like a Text Adventure but it have movement and is like a ASCII RPG. I can't tell you much more than that.
    :

• netomnetom Member Posts: 15
    Hi!
    As Gautam recommended me Anim8or, last day I checked up it's basic features, and I'm very glad to say that this tool is useable. It's freware, and very small to download (around 550k); easy to use and intuitive to learn (with 3ds'- look like). Check this site: http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html
    Just to mention, that doesn't mean that this is ultimetly the best tool for our project (because I need time to research it's import and export data formats), but for someone who never had any conatact with 3D modeling tools so far, this could be fine starting point.

By the way who is here intrested in creating models, worlds? (we spent time talking about programming, nobody mentioned this aspect of work).

Would anyone try to take a look at Gimp(2D tool) or Sound/Music tools(Eca...)?

When it's up to chat I use ICQ, and terminal access mIRC to chat on irc.funet.fi (it's cheaper for me).

My nick is "netom" :), and you can put me in "programming" (if speedyprog finds time to make a list).

When it's up to RPG genre, I rarely play this kind of games so I don't know how I can contribute here (Max Payne aka "Matrix" style is however one of my favourite newer games :) ). How about some logic-problem game? Ideas?

When it's up to 3D I'm still on the same position: give all of yourself, or don't start with it at all. Don't use shortcuts, easier ways. Of course that programming in 3D is so hard and painfull, but if you're really intrested you don't have to discourage yourself on the start, that's all I want to say. Start with seting up the scene with one polygon and progress step-by-step. All that you learn will be new and beneficial. No one was born smart!

...And be patient, for all good things needs time and lot of work...

Best Wishes!
    [email protected]

"...I love facts like the one I'll use today. I
    guarantee I'll get a bunch of letters telling me I'm wrong,
    so here goes. In Great Britain, giving the "V" sign with
    the first and middle finger while the palm is turned
    towards you and raising your hand is a rather rude
    gesture. It's akin to the middle finger here in the states,
    among other areas. The British "V" gesture has its roots
    in the battle of Agincourt in 1415. The story goes that the
    French threatened to chop off British archer's bow
    fingers during battle. When all was said and done, the
    French lost and British archers gave the now famous "V"
    signal to mock their defeated foes."

Jon, because I'm really intrested in European histroy could you tell me how much truth is in this text?