Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Needed: serious game programmers

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    If you guys are just beginning why don't you try 1 on 1 deathmatch kind of game - then you don't have to worry about design too much. Have some rooms, have a decent AI, run around and kill one guy as many times you want. Game would be small and fruitful.

Gimp is good actually in my opinion. However the Unix versions are far better than the Windows version though.

Regarding ecasound, I haven't yet looked into it to give you my opinion.

: Hi!
    : As Gautam recommended me Anim8or, last day I checked up it's basic features, and I'm very glad to say that this tool is useable. It's freware, and very small to download (around 550k); easy to use and intuitive to learn (with 3ds'- look like). Check this site: http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html
    : Just to mention, that doesn't mean that this is ultimetly the best tool for our project (because I need time to research it's import and export data formats), but for someone who never had any conatact with 3D modeling tools so far, this could be fine starting point.
    :
    : By the way who is here intrested in creating models, worlds? (we spent time talking about programming, nobody mentioned this aspect of work).
    :
    : Would anyone try to take a look at Gimp(2D tool) or Sound/Music tools(Eca...)?
    :
    : When it's up to chat I use ICQ, and terminal access mIRC to chat on irc.funet.fi (it's cheaper for me).
    :
    : My nick is "netom" :), and you can put me in "programming" (if speedyprog finds time to make a list).
    :
    : When it's up to RPG genre, I rarely play this kind of games so I don't know how I can contribute here (Max Payne aka "Matrix" style is however one of my favourite newer games :) ). How about some logic-problem game? Ideas?
    :
    : When it's up to 3D I'm still on the same position: give all of yourself, or don't start with it at all. Don't use shortcuts, easier ways. Of course that programming in 3D is so hard and painfull, but if you're really intrested you don't have to discourage yourself on the start, that's all I want to say. Start with seting up the scene with one polygon and progress step-by-step. All that you learn will be new and beneficial. No one was born smart!
    :
    : ...And be patient, for all good things needs time and lot of work...
    :
    : Best Wishes!
    : [email protected]
    :
    : "...I love facts like the one I'll use today. I
    : guarantee I'll get a bunch of letters telling me I'm wrong,
    : so here goes. In Great Britain, giving the "V" sign with
    : the first and middle finger while the palm is turned
    : towards you and raising your hand is a rather rude
    : gesture. It's akin to the middle finger here in the states,
    : among other areas. The British "V" gesture has its roots
    : in the battle of Agincourt in 1415. The story goes that the
    : French threatened to chop off British archer's bow
    : fingers during battle. When all was said and done, the
    : French lost and British archers gave the now famous "V"
    : signal to mock their defeated foes."
    :
    : Jon, because I'm really intrested in European histroy could you tell me how much truth is in this text?
    :
    :

• jon_241jon_241 Member Posts: 45
    Yes its is true and the V sign stands for the old F-word.

As for the story, I have no idea!

Jon.

: As Gautam recommended me Anim8or, last day I checked up it's basic features, and I'm very glad to say that this tool is useable. It's freware, and very small to download (around 550k); easy to use and intuitive to learn (with 3ds'- look like). Check this site: http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html
    : Just to mention, that doesn't mean that this is ultimetly the best tool for our project (because I need time to research it's import and export data formats), but for someone who never had any conatact with 3D modeling tools so far, this could be fine starting point.
    :
    : By the way who is here intrested in creating models, worlds? (we spent time talking about programming, nobody mentioned this aspect of work).
    :
    : Would anyone try to take a look at Gimp(2D tool) or Sound/Music tools(Eca...)?
    :
    : When it's up to chat I use ICQ, and terminal access mIRC to chat on irc.funet.fi (it's cheaper for me).
    :
    : My nick is "netom" :), and you can put me in "programming" (if speedyprog finds time to make a list).
    :
    : When it's up to RPG genre, I rarely play this kind of games so I don't know how I can contribute here (Max Payne aka "Matrix" style is however one of my favourite newer games :) ). How about some logic-problem game? Ideas?
    :
    : When it's up to 3D I'm still on the same position: give all of yourself, or don't start with it at all. Don't use shortcuts, easier ways. Of course that programming in 3D is so hard and painfull, but if you're really intrested you don't have to discourage yourself on the start, that's all I want to say. Start with seting up the scene with one polygon and progress step-by-step. All that you learn will be new and beneficial. No one was born smart!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Jon, because I'm really intrested in European histroy could you tell me how much truth is in this text?
    :
    :

As for the modelling, I still believe it is better to finish a smaller project than to start a big more complicated one. Thats the reason I think 2d is a much better breeding ground for creative thoughts and improvement of programming skills.

I was thinking about this whole project idea today. Would we all contribute a separate bit that we code by ourselves and all pull it together. Or should we all follow the creation of a game like a class?
    As personally, I'd like to learn everything, not just one thing.
    Any opinions on this?

Jon.

:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• dartsmandartsman Member Posts: 88
    I believe that we should all know how to make this game not just the little bit that we might be best at. This game is really for the beginners (ME, and anyone else) to learn how to game program. I would like to have a MSN chat with anyone, we should find out who has MSN or any other chat thing and organise a bit chat time. We would have to consider all of the time differences and days (like if there is school for some of use).

Jon is your full name Jonathan?

My name is Jonathan but I like to be called Jon not John, what do you think, is that how you feel. Like I hate it when people give me a card with Johnathon, Johnathan or John. Do you get that? I get it all the time. It really annoys me.

With the chat I know that when it is about 12 pm in Australia on Monday it is about 6 pm on Tuesday in America. If we are going to have a chat each of us will need to have each others email address.

These are my thoughts on the game:-

With the game I think that it should be all in real time (Like all the battles and moving around). If you have played 'Legand of the Dragoon' you will know what I mean. When moving it is ok, but in the fighting scenes it is turn base, that sent me right off the game. It just takes too long to get though the game. And that if you want to skip some parts of the game you can (like a special button [tab]?). It would have a lot of fighting but not too much to draw you off the game. It would be like 'Baulders Gate Dark Alliance'(great RPG(long though)). It would be 3D. It would be long but not repeating itself. It should be able to be updated easily. It would have great graphics, sound, entertaining and fun! I think that I could get some sound (Music 2000). My friend has it but I don't know if he would do it but it might also take up too much room. It would be 'small' in size (not over 10mb), just for the demo and easy to use. It would have a great User Interface.

What do you all think?

Plus: If we make any money out of this how should we split it (Even if it's $10).

Dartsman (well you would already know my first name so)

Jon

: As for the modelling, I still believe it is better to finish a smaller project than to start a big more complicated one. Thats the reason I think 2d is a much better breeding ground for creative thoughts and improvement of programming skills.
    :
    : I was thinking about this whole project idea today. Would we all contribute a separate bit that we code by ourselves and all pull it together. Or should we all follow the creation of a game like a class?
    : As personally, I'd like to learn everything, not just one thing.
    : Any opinions on this?
    :
    : Jon.
    :
    : : Hi!
    : : As Gautam recommended me Anim8or, last day I checked up it's basic features, and I'm very glad to say that this tool is useable. It's freware, and very small to download (around 550k); easy to use and intuitive to learn (with 3ds'- look like). Check this site: http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html
    : : Just to mention, that doesn't mean that this is ultimetly the best tool for our project (because I need time to research it's import and export data formats), but for someone who never had any conatact with 3D modeling tools so far, this could be fine starting point.
    : :
    : : By the way who is here intrested in creating models, worlds? (we spent time talking about programming, nobody mentioned this aspect of work).
    : : Would anyone try to take a look at Gimp(2D tool) or Sound/Music tools(Eca...)?
    : : When it's up to chat I use ICQ, and terminal access mIRC to chat on irc.funet.fi (it's cheaper for me).
    : : My nick is "netom" :), and you can put me in "programming" (if speedyprog finds time to make a list).
    : : When it's up to RPG genre, I rarely play this kind of games so I don't know how I can contribute here (Max Payne aka "Matrix" style is however one of my favourite newer games :) ). How about some logic-problem game? Ideas?
    : : When it's up to 3D I'm still on the same position: give all of yourself, or don't start with it at all. Don't use shortcuts, easier ways. Of course that programming in 3D is so hard and painfull, but if you're really intrested you don't have to discourage yourself on the start, that's all I want to say. Start with seting up the scene with one polygon and progress step-by-step. All that you learn will be new and beneficial. No one was born smart!
    : : ...And be patient, for all good things needs time and lot of work...
    : : Best Wishes!
    : : [email protected]
    : : "...I love facts like the one I'll use today. I
    : : guarantee I'll get a bunch of letters telling me I'm wrong,
    : : so here goes. In Great Britain, giving the "V" sign with
    : : the first and middle finger while the palm is turned
    : : towards you and raising your hand is a rather rude
    : : gesture. It's akin to the middle finger here in the states,
    : : among other areas. The British "V" gesture has its roots
    : : in the battle of Agincourt in 1415. The story goes that the
    : : French threatened to chop off British archer's bow
    : : fingers during battle. When all was said and done, the
    : : French lost and British archers gave the now famous "V"
    : : signal to mock their defeated foes."
    : : Jon, because I'm really intrested in European histroy could you tell me how much truth is in this text?
    :
    :

My first name is Jon-Paul. I sometimes get called Jonathon, just taking the mick sometimes, hardly a bad thing as I give it back.
    Some even don't bother asking how to spell it, calling me John, I have to correct them after they have written it down.
    It has annoyed me, but there are worst things to be pissed off about.

I have MSN, but I'm not giving out my address here.
    Check my profile for my address.

I'm not into Fantasy whatever type turn based games. All that power-up /magic stuff etc. I like turn based battles like Civilisation, but I do prefer real-time battles.

I doubt we would make money out of it. The experience would be more rewarding for me personally.

Jon.

: I believe that we should all know how to make this game not just the little bit that we might be best at. This game is really for the beginners (ME, and anyone else) to learn how to game program. I would like to have a MSN chat with anyone, we should find out who has MSN or any other chat thing and organise a bit chat time. We would have to consider all of the time differences and days (like if there is school for some of use).
    :
    : Jon is your full name Jonathan?
    :
    : My name is Jonathan but I like to be called Jon not John, what do you think, is that how you feel. Like I hate it when people give me a card with Johnathon, Johnathan or John. Do you get that? I get it all the time. It really annoys me.
    :
    : With the chat I know that when it is about 12 pm in Australia on Monday it is about 6 pm on Tuesday in America. If we are going to have a chat each of us will need to have each others email address.
    :
    : These are my thoughts on the game:-
    :
    : With the game I think that it should be all in real time (Like all the battles and moving around). If you have played 'Legand of the Dragoon' you will know what I mean. When moving it is ok, but in the fighting scenes it is turn base, that sent me right off the game. It just takes too long to get though the game. And that if you want to skip some parts of the game you can (like a special button [tab]?). It would have a lot of fighting but not too much to draw you off the game. It would be like 'Baulders Gate Dark Alliance'(great RPG(long though)). It would be 3D. It would be long but not repeating itself. It should be able to be updated easily. It would have great graphics, sound, entertaining and fun! I think that I could get some sound (Music 2000). My friend has it but I don't know if he would do it but it might also take up too much room. It would be 'small' in size (not over 10mb), just for the demo and easy to use. It would have a great User Interface.
    :
    : What do you all think?
    :
    : Plus: If we make any money out of this how should we split it (Even if it's $10).
    :
    : Dartsman (well you would already know my first name so)
    :
    : Jon
    :
    :

• speedyprogramrspeedyprogramr Member Posts: 12
    Hiya everyone,
    alright. this is getting interesting. obviously we all have different (game) preferences, so our first decision should be regarding what type of game should we develop? Should it be RPG (nothing too complicated, real time fights, no weapon upgrade, heavy on storyline though! Anyone play Blood Omen 2 yet?), or should it be FPS? I must declare that i'm not into FPS games. I enjoy more dramatic games like Zelda or Blood Omen 2. If we go for an RPG, it won't have to be too complicated. For instance, we'll do real time battle (turn based does take too long), have basic but cool weapons, and a really good plot. I've never seriously done story-writing, but I bet if we put our heads together, we can come up with something cool (I wouldn't mind). So for what type of game should be developed, we have to vote on that. I vote for an RPG type myself.
    Let me declare this right now. Forget the money making part! I'm doing this solely for the experience, and I doubt that anyone would want to "buy" our game. It should be a great programming experience for beginners and experienced programmers alike. I don't want ANYONE on here who thinks we'll be selling our end product. I want you here for the passion of programming, nothing else. Like Jon above said, the experience itself should be rewarding enough.
    For the above reason, I don't think we need to be fancy and create a website. We barely know each other and (fankly) I don't know yet who's committed to be in this team/group. We will only know who's committed well into the project.
    As for if we should work together or separate on parts/bits of the game....let's all work on every part of the game. One thing I hate about programming class is that you have to do projects alone. Sometimes you don't understand stuff, which sucks. So yes, we should all stick together and that way we will all learn and experience each part of the game.
    I will be emailing everyone very soon (in fact, i was getting everyone's email addresses together). However, netom I couldn't find yours....and there was one other person (can't remember, but i'll post here). So please, send me your email address (those of you who haven't stated in your profiles!
    As for the chatting, we'll set something up. I've used mIRC once, but i dont know how to set up a chat. Gimme a lil more time, i shall look into it.
    This is it for now (I think!) but this should be cool. I may state a lot, but there's a reason why i'm here. Vote on what kind of game you'd like to develop and then we'll see. See you all later!

• dartsmandartsman Member Posts: 88
    Well I want the game to be a RPG and you walk around in 2D first then we can change it to 3D. I think we should make a Level Maker or just use arrays. I would love the battle scenes to be real time. I can't stand when you are waiting for the bad guy to get you. I think that the character should just move around and get people as he goes. What do you think that time should be, like most RPG are done either Fantasy or Medieavel, if we did it that you could baybe travel throught time or make it nowdays with the user trying to save his/her brother/sister from bad guys? I can come up with a good story line as long as I know the theme, setting, time, main chars(I could make these up) and any other little detail. I think we should try and make this game so that if we don't finish it we can all continue with it.

Dartsman
    [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-4-28 18:24:13[/red][/b][hr]
    Ok, here is my idea, not really of a storyline but of the programming knowledge and techniques to be learned.

Its 2d, but using OpenGL, thus equpping us with that experience ready to use for the sequel, that would be in 3d ;)

Its not that I don't want to do 3d now you understand, its just that I don't want us to end up getting bogged down with 3d maths, when I would prefer to be programming.

Ok, we could learn in phases. As below:

- Menu system and game in Windows as I dont think all of you have Linux.
    But learning Windows would be very useful. Phase 1?

- Graphics. What the characters look like, the environment, buildings, trees, vehicles (in sequel I think).
    A scroll-up? or in a big "land" to investigate, searching for clues, potions, etc. Creating a level editor. Phase 2?

- Collision detection. For this, we could shoot, collect power-ups, use weapons, battle enemies, interact with the environment. Phase 3?

- Adding sound. Gunfire, types of magic, phrases. Phase 4?

- And maybe multiplayer and online using a web server. As I think not all of us have network cards and connected up to a LAN at home (but I am). Phase 5?

Have I forgotten anything? What do you think?

Also could be useful as experience when job-hunting (for me). If you're new to this and younger then you lads learning now, will be by the time ur my age, great programmers.
    Wish I started earlier. I got a lot of catching up to do ;)

Should we start a separate message board?

Also, could set up a CVS repository? Not sure how to do that myself.
    That would be later anyway, when we start coding.

Understanding the basics of game development, will be a great experience. Also, from what we all know and understand as we progress, we can teach each other.

Jon.

• netomnetom Member Posts: 15
    I was busy with VS.NET Enterprise from my company for development review purposes so (if someone is intrested) the package looks good, but I'm not so excited. There are some new things, but lot of things looks just as before(maybe because I mainly reviewed VC++); there are even some things in IDE which really annoys me :(, but, what' the hell. It's normal to be more criticly positioned when you are active for longer period of time in this field.

However, back to game project; you proposed RPG, well why not. I'm not an RPG player but if anyone could me explain this, maybe I could contribute it somehow. Is RPG the same thing as FRP but in sci-fi enviroment? My buddy plays this kind of games and he talked to me long time ago something about this, but I didn't get it. You know, all people play action/arcade games (FPS-es, Car Driving, Sports Simulations...); but when it's up to adventures, RT strategies, FRP's(RPG's) people usually choose only one category (I'm in the RT-Strategies). Help me to understand better.

When it's up to 2D maybe it could be good expirence, but I'm not still sure about that.
    Jon, when you mention CVS did you mean "version control"?
    I found one document about organization of game developer "virtual teams". It's very intresting, check it here http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article899.asp

Best Wishes!
    Netom

"...Contrary to popular belief, Thomas
    Crapper did not invent the flush toilet. Crapper was a
    successful plumbing businessman who held nine patents,
    but none were for the flushing system. That honor goes
    to Albert Giblin who first held the patent on the "silent
    valveless water waste preventer." Giblin, who worked
    for Crapper, either sold him the rights or just allowed him
    to use them under a work-for-hire agreement. Either
    way, U.S. soldiers who spent time in England before
    going to battle noticed that most of the toilets had
    "T. Crapper-Chelsea" printed on them. There's your
    nickname."

Yes that was exactly what I meant. Version Control.
    Another issue would be, do we all edit the same code OR all code it ourselves, but share our knowledge as we go along?

Jon.

: I was busy with VS.NET Enterprise from my company for development review purposes so (if someone is intrested) the package looks good, but I'm not so excited. There are some new things, but lot of things looks just as before(maybe because I mainly reviewed VC++); there are even some things in IDE which really annoys me :(, but, what' the hell. It's normal to be more criticly positioned when you are active for longer period of time in this field.
    :
    : However, back to game project; you proposed RPG, well why not. I'm not an RPG player but if anyone could me explain this, maybe I could contribute it somehow. Is RPG the same thing as FRP but in sci-fi enviroment? My buddy plays this kind of games and he talked to me long time ago something about this, but I didn't get it. You know, all people play action/arcade games (FPS-es, Car Driving, Sports Simulations...); but when it's up to adventures, RT strategies, FRP's(RPG's) people usually choose only one category (I'm in the RT-Strategies). Help me to understand better.
    :
    : When it's up to 2D maybe it could be good expirence, but I'm not still sure about that.
    : Jon, when you mention CVS did you mean "version control"?
    : I found one document about organization of game developer "virtual teams". It's very intresting, check it here http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article899.asp
    :
    : Netom
    :