FTP

Is using a program (like WS-FTP) dependant on having an internet connection on the computer, or just a phone line? Thanks.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure you have to establish the connection yourself. I use WS_FTP and have a 56k modem and a phone line out. However, when my AOL connection isn't open, I get an error message on connecting with WS_FTP. I'm pretty sure you have to have an internet connection open at the time.

• : I'm pretty sure you have to establish the connection yourself. I use WS_FTP and have a 56k modem and a phone line out. However, when my AOL connection isn't open, I get an error message on connecting with WS_FTP. I'm pretty sure you have to have an internet connection open at the time.
    :

WS_FTP (as well as almost any other such program) requires an external connection. Such programs work by creating something called a "socket," which is implemented under windows in the winsock libraries. There are similar libraries in unix, as well. A connection is made through this socket, and a port using TCP (transfer control protocol) on your machine and the server is opened through which the connection is made and data transfer begins. WS_FTP does all this with the assumption that windows is able to access the server. Windows acts as the intermediary between WS_FTP and the server. Dialing into or otherwise connecting with an ISP is a separate process. Although some programs include features where they automatically dial your ISP, even this is normally done through other windows functions, and not unique to the program.