Best language for database programming ?? (C++ vs VB/C#)

Hi

Sorry, it's a bit of a Greenhorn question:
I am currently doing an MSc in IT (although my profession is medical) and I am in the planning process of devellopping a larger medical database system (based on a hospital server).
I initially planned to use C++.net as the main language (which should be ok to use ADO.net as well ??) but it appears if you look for database programming you find books discussing either Visual Basic or c# with database programming but no literature refers to C++ - why ??.

Am I using (or trying to use) the wrong language and if yes - why ?

Thanks for your help !!

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by the melissa_may1 at 2002-6-17 16:9:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi
    :
    : Sorry, it's a bit of a Greenhorn question:
    : I am currently doing an MSc in IT (although my profession is medical) and I am in the planning process of devellopping a larger medical database system (based on a hospital server).
    : I initially planned to use C++.net as the main language (which should be ok to use ADO.net as well ??) but it appears if you look for database programming you find books discussing either Visual Basic or c# with database programming but no literature refers to C++ - why ??.
    :
    : Am I using (or trying to use) the wrong language and if yes - why ?
    :
    : Thanks for your help !!
    :

Well, It's pretty hard to use the "wrong" language - it's just that some are better than others.

Can you use C++ to do what you want? Yes. Can you use VB? Yes. Which is better? Tough question!

Do you already know one or the other? If so, then expand your knowledge, and write it that way.

I do lots of SQL front ends in VB, so I'm biased in that direction.

As for the books, well the publishers like to jump on the latest thing, which happens to be C#. There should be stuff out there for C++, though maybe it's harder to find.

Good Luck!
    :

[purple]Melissa[/purple]