TstringGrid useage

Hi all,
As you will see, I'm pretty new to this stuff.
I need to allow end user to input a bunch of parameters, both numeric and string, for a large number of similar objects. The easiest way I can see to present this is with a TStringGrid that the user simply fills in. How do I do the following:

1: Detect if the user has moved from one cell to another? I would use this to validate the data that was entered.

2: Set the data type to integer, real or string on a column basis.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Brendon

Brendon Parise
Wannabee software writer

Comments

• : Hi all,
    : As you will see, I'm pretty new to this stuff.
    : I need to allow end user to input a bunch of parameters, both numeric and string, for a large number of similar objects. The easiest way I can see to present this is with a TStringGrid that the user simply fills in. How do I do the following:
    :
    : 1: Detect if the user has moved from one cell to another? I would use this to validate the data that was entered.
    :
    : 2: Set the data type to integer, real or string on a column basis.
    :
    : Any help will be appreciated
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : Brendon
    :
    :
    : Brendon Parise
    : Wannabee software writer
    :
    You need the OnSelectCell() Event. The TStringGrid.Row & Col properties hold the current cell indexes. The parameters hold the new cell indexes.
    To set the data on a column base, I suggest that you create an additional integer array, which is as big as the number of columns. This array stores the "type" of the column. Now you can use a case-of statement to perform the type-checking and the appropriate StrToXXX() function to change the type.