Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Direct3D .x file format, where's my texture?

TJayTJay Member Posts: 2
I'm having real problems getting any .x files that i create to display textures. I have used several 3d modelling tools (openfx, truespace, and blender) to create a model and then used crossroads to convert to .x format. Does anyone know why i get no texture info?

Thanks.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : I'm having real problems getting any .x files that i create to display textures. I have used several 3d modelling tools (openfx, truespace, and blender) to create a model and then used crossroads to convert to .x format. Does anyone know why i get no texture info?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    Never heard of a model format that "contains" textures. The modeling I know of and that game companies use contains only mesh data and references to the textures. You then have to load the texture from a seperate file or such and wrap it onto your model. If there is a model format that stores the mesh, then the textures, and any ID values, let us game programmers know, as it's news to us!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• TJayTJay Member Posts: 2
    : : I'm having real problems getting any .x files that i create to display textures. I have used several 3d modelling tools (openfx, truespace, and blender) to create a model and then used crossroads to convert to .x format. Does anyone know why i get no texture info?
    : :
    : : Thanks.
    : :
    : Never heard of a model format that "contains" textures. The modeling I know of and that game companies use contains only mesh data and references to the textures. You then have to load the texture from a seperate file or such and wrap it onto your model. If there is a model format that stores the mesh, then the textures, and any ID values, let us game programmers know, as it's news to us!
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    : Indeed the model doesnt "contain" the texture, the "texture info" i was referering to is the reference to the texture, which is part of the .x file. So i load the mesh into the buffer and try to extract the material and texture names but nothing there.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Have you tried opening your X file in a hex or binary editor to verify that the texture data was being stored? If it isn't stored for some reason, that's why it can't get any out when loaded. I am unfamiliar with this X format, but I'll do some poking around. Check to make sure the texture info is being stored in the file first.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• EnglefunkEnglefunk Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem - did u resolve this issue? if so PLEASE let me know - i'm using cinema 4D, and when looking its not saving the texture info....

seems silly not to use .x files if they can hold the data needed.

Thanks
    Englefunk
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

_________ || http://forcoder.org || free video tutorials and ebooks about | Assembly C Scratch PHP Visual Basic .NET R C++ Delphi MATLAB JavaScript Objective-C PL/SQL Visual Basic Python Ruby Perl Java Go Swift C# Kotlin Awk COBOL Hack Clojure VBScript Lisp Transact-SQL Crystal Dart Scheme Fortran FoxPro Logo Rust LabVIEW Prolog D F# Alice ML SAS Ada ABAP Julia Bash Scala Apex Lua Erlang | _____________