Why Python?

Hi all Python programmers

I know C++ and Java. Do I need to learn Python too? What can I do in Python I can't do in Java or C++?

Thanks

Comments

• : What can I do in Python I can't do in Java or C++?

Theres nothing that can be done in Python that can't in c++ or Java, but Python is better that some things than C++ or Java.

Python is an intepreted language with a simple syntax. This allows you to program in it more quickly because there is less typing and no compile-link step. This allows you to quickly test your design. Later, when you want speed you can replace parts of you program with c++.

Beacause Python is interpreted you can use it for things like Cgi where c++ would take to long and be insecure.

There is a version of Python called Jython writen in Java which lets you compile python to java bytecode and other cool stuff.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by the Moefish at 2002-7-25 2:2:10[/red][/b][hr]
    Read this, and perhaps it persuads you to code in Python :)

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/334/

Python is cool :)

• : [b][red]This message was edited by the Moefish at 2002-7-25 2:2:10[/red][/b][hr]
    : Read this, and perhaps it persuads you to code in Python :)
    :
    : http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/334/
    :
    : Python is cool :)
    :
    :
    :

I'm definatly convinced that I should learn Python (and even Ruby).

One reason is that I want to be able to write programs using lots of different languages. Desining very specific classes is best using C++, because of its speed, power and reliabilty. GUI programming in C++ isn't much good for me, but Java swing has everything I'll ever need for GUI. The problem is now creating the skeleton of the program.

Am I correct if I say that I can use Python to create the program skeleton, since it is possible to embed other languages with it with greater ease than I could with Java? For instance, can I (with ease) launch a Java thread in Python, and instantiate an object I declared as a class in C++?