Problems with Object Pascal

I'm also posting this message on the beginners messageboard, though I'm already quite familiar with Delphi. However, the problem described below might be a beginner's problem.

I have a problem writing OO-code in Delphi. How can I use classes which are defined later in the code? Here is an example, what my problem looks like (abstract example):

TObj1 = class
field : TObj2;
end;

TObj2 = class
field : TObj1;
end;

As you can see, changing the order of the declaration will not solve the problem. I was used from writing OO-code in Pascal, that you (normaly) use pointers to objects instead of object vars:

{pascal code}

PObj1 = ^TObj1;
PObj2 = ^TObj2;

TObj1 = object
field : PObj2;
end;

TObj2 = object
field : PObj1;
end;

But since Delphi replaces the need to use pointers to objects simply by using classes (as I mentioned in Delphi, var a : TObject; is actually a pointer to an instance of (an inheritor of) TObject), this doesn't look to be the right way.

Please help me - is there any possibility to declare classes "forward"? Or any other way to do this?

Thank you.

Comments

• : I have a problem writing OO-code in Delphi. How can I use classes which are defined later in the code? Here is an example, what my problem looks like (abstract example):
    :
    : TObj1 = class
    : field : TObj2;
    : end;
    :
    : TObj2 = class
    : field : TObj1;
    : end;
    :
    : But since Delphi replaces the need to use pointers to objects simply by using classes (as I mentioned in Delphi, var a : TObject; is actually a pointer to an instance of (an inheritor of) TObject), this doesn't look to be the right way.
    :
    : Please help me - is there any possibility to declare classes "forward"? Or any other way to do this?
    :
    : Thank you.
    :
    Hi there, you can make a forward class declaration.
    [code]
    Type
    TObj2 = class; // Forward declaration of TObj2

TObj1 = class
    field : TObj2;
    end;

TObj2 = class
    field : TObj1;
    end;
    [/code]
    HTH

Richard