Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Partitions In 2nd HDD Suddenly Showing Up As Unformatted

Hi folks. Just wondering if someone here has come across this kind of problem before. I run 2 HDD, both are Maxtor 60gb, the Master holds Win 2000, Win XP Pro, and Redhat 7.3. The 2nd HDD holds 3 partitions, I use these for storage of various data - Multimedia, Webdev, MP3, ect. Here's the prob - On reboot earlier today, the 2nd HDD suddenly showed up as unformatted. The 3 partitions are intact, just unformatted. Which, of course, renders the data useless, as I can't get to it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. - Thank You. -Ed Parrott

Comments

• PetergovPetergov Member Posts: 1
    : Hi folks. Just wondering if someone here has come across this kind of problem before. I run 2 HDD, both are Maxtor 60gb, the Master holds Win 2000, Win XP Pro, and Redhat 7.3. The 2nd HDD holds 3 partitions, I use these for storage of various data - Multimedia, Webdev, MP3, ect. Here's the prob - On reboot earlier today, the 2nd HDD suddenly showed up as unformatted. The 3 partitions are intact, just unformatted. Which, of course, renders the data useless, as I can't get to it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. - Thank You. -Ed Parrott
    :
    Hi Ed.
    Had You solved Your problem? Inform me, please, if it isn't so. There is enough high likelihood that it is solvable, especially, if You use FAT.

Good luck, Peter.

• osvaosva Member Posts: 2
    : : Hi folks. Just wondering if someone here has come across this kind of problem before. I run 2 HDD, both are Maxtor 60gb, the Master holds Win 2000, Win XP Pro, and Redhat 7.3. The 2nd HDD holds 3 partitions, I use these for storage of various data - Multimedia, Webdev, MP3, ect. Here's the prob - On reboot earlier today, the 2nd HDD suddenly showed up as unformatted. The 3 partitions are intact, just unformatted. Which, of course, renders the data useless, as I can't get to it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. - Thank You. -Ed Parrott
    : :
    : Hi Ed.
    : Had You solved Your problem? Inform me, please, if it isn't so. There is enough high likelihood that it is solvable, especially, if You use FAT.
    :
    : Good luck, Peter.
    :
    :

I had the same problem.. I restarted my computer and then when I try to access my second hard disk.. it said the disk is not formatted do you want to format it now.. Anyone know what can this be??
    Thank you
  • kenmacsepkenmacsep Member Posts: 2
    there are two causes that come to mind
    1: you formated with xp's new format - windows2000 won't see this format and i don't know if redhat7.3 will (i think it should)
    2:i did read somewhere a bios upgrade may be required as some intermittently lose large drives (as you still see it 1st guess seems more likely)

from kenmacsep
    [email protected]
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,588 ✭✭

____ [ http://forcoder.org ] free ebooks and video tutorials about || C C++ Ruby Delphi PHP Visual Basic .NET Scratch Objective-C PL/SQL MATLAB Perl Go Visual Basic JavaScript Assembly Java C# Python Swift R Transact-SQL Scala Lua F# Ada VBScript FoxPro Erlang ML Apex Prolog COBOL Lisp Dart Clojure Rust LabVIEW Logo Awk Scheme Alice SAS Julia Bash Hack D ABAP Kotlin Crystal Fortran || ___