Partitions In 2nd HDD Suddenly Showing Up As Unformatted

Hi folks. Just wondering if someone here has come across this kind of problem before. I run 2 HDD, both are Maxtor 60gb, the Master holds Win 2000, Win XP Pro, and Redhat 7.3. The 2nd HDD holds 3 partitions, I use these for storage of various data - Multimedia, Webdev, MP3, ect. Here's the prob - On reboot earlier today, the 2nd HDD suddenly showed up as unformatted. The 3 partitions are intact, just unformatted. Which, of course, renders the data useless, as I can't get to it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. - Thank You. -Ed Parrott

Comments

• : Hi folks. Just wondering if someone here has come across this kind of problem before. I run 2 HDD, both are Maxtor 60gb, the Master holds Win 2000, Win XP Pro, and Redhat 7.3. The 2nd HDD holds 3 partitions, I use these for storage of various data - Multimedia, Webdev, MP3, ect. Here's the prob - On reboot earlier today, the 2nd HDD suddenly showed up as unformatted. The 3 partitions are intact, just unformatted. Which, of course, renders the data useless, as I can't get to it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. - Thank You. -Ed Parrott
    :
    Hi Ed.
    Had You solved Your problem? Inform me, please, if it isn't so. There is enough high likelihood that it is solvable, especially, if You use FAT.

Good luck, Peter.

• : : Hi folks. Just wondering if someone here has come across this kind of problem before. I run 2 HDD, both are Maxtor 60gb, the Master holds Win 2000, Win XP Pro, and Redhat 7.3. The 2nd HDD holds 3 partitions, I use these for storage of various data - Multimedia, Webdev, MP3, ect. Here's the prob - On reboot earlier today, the 2nd HDD suddenly showed up as unformatted. The 3 partitions are intact, just unformatted. Which, of course, renders the data useless, as I can't get to it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. - Thank You. -Ed Parrott
    : :
    : Hi Ed.
    : Had You solved Your problem? Inform me, please, if it isn't so. There is enough high likelihood that it is solvable, especially, if You use FAT.
    :
    : Good luck, Peter.
    :
    :

I had the same problem.. I restarted my computer and then when I try to access my second hard disk.. it said the disk is not formatted do you want to format it now.. Anyone know what can this be??
    Thank you
  • there are two causes that come to mind
    1: you formated with xp's new format - windows2000 won't see this format and i don't know if redhat7.3 will (i think it should)
    2:i did read somewhere a bios upgrade may be required as some intermittently lose large drives (as you still see it 1st guess seems more likely)

from kenmacsep
    kenmarkham@hotmail.com