Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Borland c/c++ builder 6 personal

vytalmanvytalman Member Posts: 3
I'm new to c/c++ and I was wondering if the Borland c/c++ builder 6 personal is the best tool for me to learn. I tried the 5.5 freeware and it doesn't include functions that work with the microprocessor (int86, regs and so on...). If it does work on this compiler, I would appreciate help on trying to make the compiler to recognize these functions, if not, is the borland 6 personal right for me?

Comments

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : I'm new to c/c++ and I was wondering if the Borland c/c++ builder 6 personal is the best tool for me to learn. I tried the 5.5 freeware and it doesn't include functions that work with the microprocessor (int86, regs and so on...). If it does work on this compiler, I would appreciate help on trying to make the compiler to recognize these functions, if not, is the borland 6 personal right for me?
    :

The last time I saw that compiler, several years ago, it only worked on MS Windows, which can not use any of those functions you mentioned. You need to get one of the older Borland compilers for that. I hear-tell that Borland is giving them away for free on their web site.
  • vytalmanvytalman Member Posts: 3
    Hey bro thanx for being the first one to give me a straight answer. I've been going crazy trying to find out why it wouldn't work. I even went to freaking Borland itself. Now you mentioned that they were giving old versions of their c/c++ compiler for free. Would you know how I can download it? If not, how's the personal 6 compiler if you have used it before? I was thinking about purchasing one for school. Thanx again!
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : Hey bro thanx for being the first one to give me a straight answer. I've been going crazy trying to find out why it wouldn't work. I even went to freaking Borland itself. Now you mentioned that they were giving old versions of their c/c++ compiler for free. Would you know how I can download it? If not, how's the personal 6 compiler if you have used it before? I was thinking about purchasing one for school. Thanx again!
    :

What do you intend to use it for, like what kinds of programs are you most likely going to make?

Also, you can download (though it's fairly large for a dialup connection) Borland C++ Builder 6 Enterprise edition for trial use for 60-days. That will give you a feel of what it's like and what it is used for. I wouldn't worry too much about the features that the trial will have that you won't later as I doubt you'd use them too much for personal use.

Also, before spending a bunch of money, you can get pretty good compilers for free (Heck you can get Borland's compiler for free, it's the IDE that you are paying for with BCB) and you can get IDEs for free too online. You may want to check those out before you make a financial investment. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who prefer certain free IDEs over BCB. As many of these are also Free software (www.gnu.org if you don't know what I'm talking about) you could modify their source code to suit your needs if you ever wanted to, you can fix bugs yourself, and finally you can just see the inner workings.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    Here is where you get the free stuff:

http://bdn.borland.com/museum/

• vytalmanvytalman Member Posts: 3
    : Here is where you get the free stuff:
    :
    : http://bdn.borland.com/museum/
    :
    :
    Thank you everyone for the help!