File Transfer in client Server application

I am working on a client-server application, and I want to transfer a file from the server to the client, but I don't know how to do file transfers over the internet (other than setting up an ftp server and executing ftp commands). Is there a serialization routine that can allow me to send the file as a stream to be rebuilt on the client's side?

Comments

• : I am working on a client-server application, and I want to transfer a file from the server to the client, but I don't know how to do file transfers over the internet (other than setting up an ftp server and executing ftp commands). Is there a serialization routine that can allow me to send the file as a stream to be rebuilt on the client's side?

You can always just use the Winsoc control with VB 5 and newer versions and just send sections of your file block by block. However, it depends if you are happy with a UDP ot TCP style connection and having to build in all the error detection in transmission.

Can't you just perform a NAME command from VB from the client to the server or vice versa ? Why don't you want to use a standard FTP ?