Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Security question

DevonDevon Member Posts: 52
I'm wondering if it's at all possible to access someones HD with R/W priviliges over the internet if the target computer doesn't have any open FTP ports?

Im wondering because I've been hacked and I'm thinking of installing a firewall, but I'd rather not if I can just keep it secure by not having any FTP ports open.

Errare humanum est, ergo non sum humanum.

Comments

• bikibiki Member Posts: 492
    [green]
    I'm wondering if it's at all possible to access someones HD with R/W priviliges over the internet if the target computer doesn't have any open FTP ports?

Yes, it is possible.

Im wondering because I've been hacked and I'm thinking of installing a firewall, but I'd rather not if I can just keep it secure by not having any FTP ports open.

Closing FTP ports will not help much. Remote-access via sockets is possible over any port, provided your pc is listening on a port (i.e. some software is listening for incoming connections)

Trojans like SubSeven can do almost anything across the internet.
    [/green]

[size=2][red]

[b]Bikram[/b][/red]
    [blue]http://www.geocities.com/nv5050[/blue]
    [red]**************************************[/red][/size]

• DevonDevon Member Posts: 52
    [b][red]This message was edited by Devon at 2002-8-27 8:1:16[/red][/b][hr]
    : [green]
    : I'm wondering if it's at all possible to access someones HD with R/W priviliges over the internet if the target computer doesn't have any open FTP ports?
    :
    : Yes, it is possible.
    :
    : Im wondering because I've been hacked and I'm thinking of installing a firewall, but I'd rather not if I can just keep it secure by not having any FTP ports open.
    :
    : Closing FTP ports will not help much. Remote-access via sockets is possible over any port, provided your pc is listening on a port (i.e. some software is listening for incoming connections)
    :
    : Trojans like SubSeven can do almost anything across the internet.
    : [/green]

Ok, I see. But as you said, some piece of software (a trojan) has to listen on a port, but that requires that the trojan is installed on the comp to begin with, right? If the system is clean and no programs are run on it other than the OS it should be fine? The system in question is actually a server on which I have all my backup files. It never actually runs anything except the OS and an FTP server.

Errare humanum est, ergo non sum humanum.

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

________ \ http://forcoder.org \ free ebooks and video tutorials about ( Assembly Perl Python C# PL/SQL C R Go Visual Basic .NET Ruby Visual Basic Swift MATLAB Scratch Java JavaScript PHP C++ Delphi Objective-C Alice Hack FoxPro Lisp Ada F# Prolog Logo SAS Lua Clojure Bash Kotlin ML Crystal COBOL Transact-SQL LabVIEW Rust Julia Fortran Apex Scheme Awk VBScript ABAP Scala Erlang D Dart ) _