Network programming under unix/linux (all)

I'm a programmer with some experience in network pogramming with sockets using windows api. The trouble is, my bosses decided to port our networking module into unix. This requires sockets (of course), some multithreading and messaging (of some sort) between those threads.
How do I do this in unix (I never did anything in unix, so I'm absolutely blank in unix system internals)?
To make my problem worse it should even be programmed to work (ideally) with every version of unix/linux.
Do I have to take special considerations to keep it especially plattform independent?

Nearly forgot: The language to code should be c/c++.

In short I need every bit of information about unix programming that is related to those thematics.

Thanks to anyone who wants to help.

HoRu

Comments

• : I'm a programmer with some experience in network pogramming with sockets using windows api. The trouble is, my bosses decided to port our networking module into unix. This requires sockets (of course), some multithreading and messaging (of some sort) between those threads.
    : How do I do this in unix (I never did anything in unix, so I'm absolutely blank in unix system internals)?
    : To make my problem worse it should even be programmed to work (ideally) with every version of unix/linux.
    : Do I have to take special considerations to keep it especially plattform independent?
    :

the socket part should be straightforward - unless you used the WSA functions (but still it should be easy enough). And the socket interface is standard, so that part would be portable.

for multithreading you'll probably use pthreads - which are (almost) portable.

the thread messaging might be the problem - i'm not 100% certain, but i don't think there is a standard way of doing it (the windows style, i mean). it's just that different operating systems implement multithreading in different ways. so you might have to do that part from scratch.
  • : : I'm a programmer with some experience in network pogramming with sockets using windows api. The trouble is, my bosses decided to port our networking module into unix. This requires sockets (of course), some multithreading and messaging (of some sort) between those threads.
    : : How do I do this in unix (I never did anything in unix, so I'm absolutely blank in unix system internals)?
    : : To make my problem worse it should even be programmed to work (ideally) with every version of unix/linux.
    : : Do I have to take special considerations to keep it especially plattform independent?
    : :
    :
    : the socket part should be straightforward - unless you used the WSA functions (but still it should be easy enough). And the socket interface is standard, so that part would be portable.
    :
    : for multithreading you'll probably use pthreads - which are (almost) portable.
    :
    : the thread messaging might be the problem - i'm not 100% certain, but i don't think there is a standard way of doing it (the windows style, i mean). it's just that different operating systems implement multithreading in different ways. so you might have to do that part from scratch.
    :
    For thread messaging you can use condition variables (see pthreads).
    You can try this link to start with:

http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tutorials/multi-thread/multi-thread.html

Good luck.

• i want to know command for modem in linux 7.1 and 7.2 .
    i want to know the design of an hyperterminal ( i.e source code ) of modem so that i can use it for my project work. plz do send me.