Creating boot/kernel image from ELF-files

Hello everyone.

I trying to make a program which makes a bootable disk from the contents
of two executable ELF-files. One is the bootloader, the other is a simple OS-kernel. I've figured out pretty much everything I need to do except this one thing called "padding". I have been told that i need to pad the segments of the ELF-file before copying them to the image-file. But I have not been able to figure out what this means. Anyone out there that can explain this to me?

Thank you!

Comments

• : Hello everyone.
    :
    : I trying to make a program which makes a bootable disk from the contents
    : of two executable ELF-files. One is the bootloader, the other is a simple OS-kernel. I've figured out pretty much everything I need to do except this one thing called "padding". I have been told that i need to pad the segments of the ELF-file before copying them to the image-file. But I have not been able to figure out what this means. Anyone out there that can explain this to me?
    :
    : Thank you!
    :

Hello. Well, your question seemed very interesting for me, although I have never been interesting in it before. I've found a resource http://docsrv.caldera.com/SDK_cprog/OF_ProgLoad.html in google, although I knew that if you do image *without* loader, it's sufficient to type 'dd if=/vmlinux of=/dev/fd0' or whatever and it works great (I didn't try it for myself, although now I'll definitely do). If I were you, I'd just try to do it without any padding, and IF it doesn't work, then search for additional information. Maybe I should too?
    Glad to help you, vytzka