the Process of Coding

Okay, I have read a book on C++ (SAMS teach yourself C++ in 21 days) and I have a good understanding of everything that was covered except linked lists. I feel as though I know C++ but I have no idea of how to apply it. I'm not looking for a job, I just want to know how to actually program. I have some other books, Assembly, Visual Basic, Java, DirectX, Palm programming, and one or two more. But someone told me that it would be dangerous to move onto another topic before I actually master C++, or atleast be able to program fluently. So I'm at a dilemma. I know how to program, I just don't really know the process. I don't know where to start, I don't know what to do, and I have no clue how to finish. So if you could give me some suggestions about how to start, such as reviewing source code of other programs, reading tutorials, trying to write my own programs, trying to edit existing source code, or just asking a bunch of questions, please tell me. I want to know how to actually learn the process of coding instead of just saying I know the language. If you wish to e-mail me instead of responding, whichever you would prefer is fine with me. Then send it to Hamedo@SoftHome.net. Thanks a lot for hearing me out. I am open to any suggestions/comments.

Comments

• : Okay, I have read a book on C++ (SAMS teach yourself C++ in 21 days) and I have a good understanding of everything that was covered except linked lists. I feel as though I know C++ but I have no idea of how to apply it. I'm not looking for a job, I just want to know how to actually program. I have some other books, Assembly, Visual Basic, Java, DirectX, Palm programming, and one or two more. But someone told me that it would be dangerous to move onto another topic before I actually master C++, or atleast be able to program fluently. So I'm at a dilemma. I know how to program, I just don't really know the process. I don't know where to start, I don't know what to do, and I have no clue how to finish. So if you could give me some suggestions about how to start, such as reviewing source code of other programs, reading tutorials, trying to write my own programs, trying to edit existing source code, or just asking a bunch of questions, please tell me. I want to know how to actually learn the process of coding instead of just saying I know the language. If you wish to e-mail me instead of responding, whichever you would prefer is fine with me. Then send it to Hamedo@SoftHome.net. Thanks a lot for hearing me out. I am open to any suggestions/comments.
    :

There must be a program you want or would be interested in making. Just choose something that is related to your interests. If you like cooking and have a bunch of recipes, maybe you'd find it useful and interesting to make a program that would let you search though them. For example, you may be able to search for your "Seaweed and Meatball Spaghetti" or all your dishes related to Pho (Pho is good stuff).

Or you can make something that would be interesting to make (ie cool). This is why there are approximately 10.2 billion 3D engines out there. A raytracer is a quick easy gratifying thing to make.

PS: If you don't understand linked-list then you have a SERIOUS hole in your knowledge. First off, you can't say that you think the book exhaustively covered programming concepts. Linked-lists are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to linked data structures. A singularly linked list is probably the most simple linked data structure there is. Here's a short list of other linked data structures: circular doubly linked list, binary search trees, B-trees, graphs, AVL trees, splay trees, directed graphs. (Actually technically this is a complete list, or specifically, graph is the complete list of linked data structures. All linked data structures are merely a subset of a graph.)

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion