Connect 2 PCs

I have a second PC that I would like to have share files from my first PC. Only problem being that I have only 1 PCI slot and its used for my Cable internet connection.

How many ways are there to hook up two systems? I know almost nothing about this so any info would be great. How can I get around this problem and what would it involve?

Comments

• : I have a second PC that I would like to have share files from my first PC. Only problem being that I have only 1 PCI slot and its used for my Cable internet connection.
    :
    : How many ways are there to hook up two systems? I know almost nothing about this so any info would be great. How can I get around this problem and what would it involve?
    :

You can share files using
    Serial port of each PC and using the direct cable connection
    utility of windows. Help for direct cable connection
    utility is also available in windows.
    About the cable, you can buy or make yourself (it's just
    3 wires).
    If you have a lan adapter, you can use it too and its faster.

• is there anyway that you can put your cable modem to usb?
  • : I have a second PC that I would like to have share files from my first PC. Only problem being that I have only 1 PCI slot and its used for my Cable internet connection.
    :
    : How many ways are there to hook up two systems? I know almost nothing about this so any info would be great. How can I get around this problem and what would it involve?
    :

Your cable connection is probably through a PCI network card. If so, you can get a network switch or hub, and connect your computer, the cable box, and the new computer to the hub.

You'll need to buy three network cables, of the proper length, since the cable you have now is a "crossover" cable, and will not work.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• If you have a USB connection on both PC's ypou may be in luck . I bought a special cable to connect both of my PC's together . You install the software that comes with it and away you go . I am sharing between Windows 98 and Windows XP. The software is called PC-Linq , search for it on Google . Cant remember the exact name of the kit but it came from my local PC stockists.

You need a special cable mind , a normal USB cable would lead to probable damage to the USB ports on one of your PC's , if I am not mistaken.