Try building a compiler for OS-creation

Hi there...
I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"

Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)

Let me know if it sounds like a good idea...

Sorry about the bad english...

From Gunnar, Denmark

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by eikedehling at 2002-11-7 7:53:19[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi there...
    : I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"
    :
    : Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)
    :
    : Let me know if it sounds like a good idea...
    :
    : Sorry about the bad english...
    :
    : From Gunnar, Denmark

Be my guest, i'd certainly try your compiler :) But you really need 'to know shit' before doing such a thing. Basically your idea is correct: make a compiler which creates assembly files (or obejct files). If you know assembly well, it should not be impossible ;-) But if you don't know assembly, be honest to yourself and stop before trying. Not that i want discourage you though :P

Eike.

SUSE LINUX 7.3 PRO - The world starts behind windows
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by eikedehling at 2002-11-7 7:53:19[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi there...
    : : I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"
    : :
    : : Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)
    : : Let me know if it sounds like a good idea...
    : : Sorry about the bad english...
    : : From Gunnar, Denmark
    :
    : Be my guest, i'd certainly try your compiler :) But you really need 'to know shit' before doing such a thing. Basically your idea is correct: make a compiler which creates assembly files (or obejct files). If you know assembly well, it should not be impossible ;-) But if you don't know assembly, be honest to yourself and stop before trying. Not that i want discourage you though :P
    :
    : Eike.
    :
    : SUSE LINUX 7.3 PRO - The world starts behind windows
    :

Allright....
    I guess you are right, but in the mean time I came to remember a tool called BXC (BASIC to C)!
    You simply write the whole thing in Qbasic, and then put it throug (however that is spelled:), read and correct the code, so it fits the best, and then compile it (in linux).

Do anyone think that would be better...
    BTW, I don't know how good BXC actually works, but I guess it is worth a try???

Jannich Brendle, Denmark
  • : Hi there...
    : I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"
    :
    : Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)
    :
    :
    :

Hi Gunnar,
    Have you considered using BASM? It's apparently been
    abandoned, but you can still get it and the source
    code free. It does use Dos, but you can re-write those
    routines so they don't.
    tburcham

http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/asm/BASM286.ZIP
  • : : Hi there...
    : : I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"
    : : Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)
    :
    : Hi Gunnar,
    : Have you considered using BASM? It's apparently been
    : abandoned, but you can still get it and the source
    : code free. It does use Dos, but you can re-write those
    : routines so they don't.
    : tburcham
    :
    : http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/asm/BASM286.ZIP
    :

Oh yeah:)

But it don't use the exact qb dialect, and i want to use that....
    But if i get the source, so it fits...
  • : Hi there...
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Writing software that deals all the way down to the level of the machine's hardware requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to turn a disc drive motor on, but how to locate a specific datum on the disc by moving the head into the correct position, signaling the controller to ... etc. etc.. It requires a low-level programming language like assembly or C. (If I remember right, C has only 18 statements, compared to Qbasics 5,7925 :-) statements.)

Building a custom hot-rod requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to a start an engine, but how to time an intake valve ... etc. etc. It requires a small garage with many simple, but specialized hand tools -- wrenchs, pliers, screwdrivers -- What you might call "low level" tools.

Yes, you can build a huge factory and install huge stamping machines that can produce a complicated part with one "WHOMP!". You could then use this giant factory to produce just one custom hot-rod. Are you sure you would want to do this?

Yes, you can invent your own low-level routines (low-level language), then use Qbasic to produce a giant compiler for your own low-level code. Are you sure you would want to do this? It might be better to learn how to use a screwdriver!

But whatever you do...

Enjoy!

rg
  • : : Hi there...
    :
    : Writing software that deals all the way down to the level of the machine's hardware requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to turn a disc drive motor on, but how to locate a specific datum on the disc by moving the head into the correct position, signaling the controller to ... etc. etc.. It requires a low-level programming language like assembly or C. (If I remember right, C has only 18 statements, compared to Qbasics 5,7925 :-) statements.)
    :
    : Building a custom hot-rod requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to a start an engine, but how to time an intake valve ... etc. etc. It requires a small garage with many simple, but specialized hand tools -- wrenchs, pliers, screwdrivers -- What you might call "low level" tools.
    :
    : Yes, you can build a huge factory and install huge stamping machines that can produce a complicated part with one "WHOMP!". You could then use this giant factory to produce just one custom hot-rod. Are you sure you would want to do this?
    :
    : Yes, you can invent your own low-level routines (low-level language), then use Qbasic to produce a giant compiler for your own low-level code. Are you sure you would want to do this? It might be better to learn how to use a screwdriver!
    :
    : But whatever you do...
    :
    : Enjoy!
    :
    : rg
    :

Well, I don't want to include every statement, I don't need things like graphics, disc- and fileroutines, and stuff like that...
  • WHA?!!! you dont need a disc- and file routines??? then with what storage media would your OS be dealing with??

: : : Hi there...
    : : : I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"
    : : :
    : : : Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)
    : : : Let me know if it sounds like a good idea...
    : : : Sorry about the bad english...
    : : : From Gunnar, Denmark
    : : Writing software that deals all the way down to the level of the machine's hardware requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to turn a disc drive motor on, but how to locate a specific datum on the disc by moving the head into the correct position, signaling the controller to ... etc. etc.. It requires a low-level programming language like assembly or C. (If I remember right, C has only 18 statements, compared to Qbasics 5,7925 :-) statements.)
    : : Building a custom hot-rod requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to a start an engine, but how to time an intake valve ... etc. etc. It requires a small garage with many simple, but specialized hand tools -- wrenchs, pliers, screwdrivers -- What you might call "low level" tools.
    : : Yes, you can build a huge factory and install huge stamping machines that can produce a complicated part with one "WHOMP!". You could then use this giant factory to produce just one custom hot-rod. Are you sure you would want to do this?
    : : Yes, you can invent your own low-level routines (low-level language), then use Qbasic to produce a giant compiler for your own low-level code. Are you sure you would want to do this? It might be better to learn how to use a screwdriver!
    : : But whatever you do...
    : : Enjoy!
    : : rg
    :
    : Well, I don't want to include every statement, I don't need things like graphics, disc- and fileroutines, and stuff like that...
    :

• well Off course i need it, but what I mean was that i don't QB's file routines. I think it would be a mess to translate them.
    I guess it would be much more easy to make some include-files, one for screen, one for input devices, one for discs, and so on...

: WHA?!!! you dont need a disc- and file routines??? then with what storage media would your OS be dealing with??
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : : : Hi there...
    : : : : I know allmost all of you, will say somethin like "AN OS IN QB IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"
    : : : :
    : : : : Maybe you are right, but if one would have the patience to make a compiler that would only produce ASM-code with no DOS-calls in it, I guess it would be able to make an OS... (or something similar:)
    : : : : Let me know if it sounds like a good idea...
    : : : : Sorry about the bad english...
    : : : : From Gunnar, Denmark
    : : : Writing software that deals all the way down to the level of the machine's hardware requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to turn a disc drive motor on, but how to locate a specific datum on the disc by moving the head into the correct position, signaling the controller to ... etc. etc.. It requires a low-level programming language like assembly or C. (If I remember right, C has only 18 statements, compared to Qbasics 5,7925 :-) statements.)
    : : : Building a custom hot-rod requires a lot of knowledge, time, and attention to detail. It requires knowing not only how to a start an engine, but how to time an intake valve ... etc. etc. It requires a small garage with many simple, but specialized hand tools -- wrenchs, pliers, screwdrivers -- What you might call "low level" tools.
    : : : Yes, you can build a huge factory and install huge stamping machines that can produce a complicated part with one "WHOMP!". You could then use this giant factory to produce just one custom hot-rod. Are you sure you would want to do this?
    : : : Yes, you can invent your own low-level routines (low-level language), then use Qbasic to produce a giant compiler for your own low-level code. Are you sure you would want to do this? It might be better to learn how to use a screwdriver!
    : : : But whatever you do...
    : : : Enjoy!
    : : : rg
    : : Well, I don't want to include every statement, I don't need things like graphics, disc- and fileroutines, and stuff like that...
    :
    :