reading/writing files simultaneously

I want to create a workgroup, named JH00, with a Windows 2000 machine and a Windows 98 machine. I have Netgear FA311/312 PCI Adapter in both PCs, a switch, and Ethernet CAT5 cabling. The IP address of the Win2k PC is 192.168.0.1, and the IP address of the Win98 machine is 192.168.0.2, with subnet mask 255.255.255.252. (Reason I have a switch, and not crossover cable or Direct Connection, is b/c I plan to add a third network.) I'm having a problem of both machines not seeing each other. Sharing is enabled on both machines, and both are using TCP/IP protocol, and Client for Microsoft Network is enabled. What can the problem be?

Comments

• have you done the network setup wizard on both of them?
  • : have you done the network setup wizard on both of them?
    :

Windows 98 has a network setup wizard? I only saw them for Direct Connection and Infrared type networks in Windows 2000 networks, not for LAN.
  • One more thing, when i run ipconfig/all, the Node Type says "Broadcast". Is this special to pay attention to?
  • If you have TCPIP and can ping the other machine, then there is nothing wrong with the setup, and you can see the machine. However, what I think you are refering to is not being able to see the other machine in the Network Neighborhood. For this make sure that the machines are on the same workgroup/domain and make sure that NetBeui is installed. Also, you may need to have file and print sharing installed on 98. This is done by default on 2000, but some people overlook this in 98. Keep in mind that file sharing are two different beast. It may be easier to create a share on 2K and mount it on 98 (No Problem) but you may have issues doing this the other way around...That is for another thread :)

: I want to create a workgroup, named JH00, with a Windows 2000 machine and a Windows 98 machine. I have Netgear FA311/312 PCI Adapter in both PCs, a switch, and Ethernet CAT5 cabling. The IP address of the Win2k PC is 192.168.0.1, and the IP address of the Win98 machine is 192.168.0.2, with subnet mask 255.255.255.252. (Reason I have a switch, and not crossover cable or Direct Connection, is b/c I plan to add a third network.)

-Third Network?!? Don't you mean third machine,station or host. It is not the norm to refer to each computer as a network in its own right. FYI

I'm having a problem of both machines not seeing each other. Sharing is enabled on both machines, and both are using TCP/IP protocol, and Client for Microsoft Network is enabled. What can the problem be?
    :