help with game programming in Java!!

I'm going a course in school where you have to do a game!
I have like 6 months to do it, and I'm writing it in Java.. I just started learning Java so it's kinda hard.. I'm playing a little with Swing and placing labels and buttons and such..

But.. how do I make a game like Super Mario Bros?? =)

Comments

• : I'm going a course in school where you have to do a game!
    : I have like 6 months to do it, and I'm writing it in Java.. I just started learning Java so it's kinda hard.. I'm playing a little with Swing and placing labels and buttons and such..
    :
    : But.. how do I make a game like Super Mario Bros?? =)
    :

hey ive been wanting to make a java version of a game you can play online and i don't even know java. i want to make a game where you go around with a picture and text description of were your going. i wanted to make a game like mario but i couldn't figure out how to make the background move and all the objects other than your guy (when he runs or walks). anyway if you figure this out let me know.

Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

-Troy

• [b][red]This message was edited by kreitler at 2003-4-3 16:9:37[/red][/b][hr]
    Hey Yngve,
    Games like Super Mario Bros. aren't too hard to make, but it will help to master the basics of graphics and sound first. Once you know how to draw pictures, etc, at a basic level, it'll be much easier to add the 2D physics, controller code, etc, required for a side scroller like Mario.

This site:
    www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ

has a series of tutorials that will cover these basics. You'll write a complete Battleship game in Java. You can also find these tutorials on the Programmer's Heaven site, under Java/Articles/Tutorials (Java Game Tutorials #1-6...though #6 isn't yet posted).

I hope this helps. If not, I can probably answer some of the questions you have.

Good luck,

Kreitler

: I'm going a course in school where you have to do a game!
    : I have like 6 months to do it, and I'm writing it in Java.. I just started learning Java so it's kinda hard.. I'm playing a little with Swing and placing labels and buttons and such..
    :
    : But.. how do I make a game like Super Mario Bros?? =)
    :