Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Messing Around

Hello,

I am interested in having someone point me in the right direction. I would like to start experimenting with electronics and I have a background in computer science. As a result, I could probably write the code once I figure out what I need. What I would like to know is how would one go about getting the parts for some of the electronic projects that are available online. I tried looking at specs from companies like TI, but I dont understand all of the specs, and it seems these companies will not sell retail, but wholesale.

SO...Info on parts and projects (In order of difficulty) would be greatly appreciated. Not interested in a running start, and dont mind re-inventing the wheel if it would provide me with usefull information.

Thanks is Advanced.

Comments

• josefjosef Member Posts: 37
    How about getting your parts/ components Maplin Electronics, see www.maplin.co.uk.

Find a circuit from the web, buy a soldering iron/solder and some strip board to mount the circuit, build, then your away!!!
    A power supply might be useful too!

Joe

• cfhcfh Member Posts: 5
    : How about getting your parts/ components Maplin Electronics, see www.maplin.co.uk.
    :
    : Find a circuit from the web, buy a soldering iron/solder and some strip board to mount the circuit, build, then your away!!!
    : A power supply might be useful too!
    :
    :
    : Joe
    :
    :
    :
    :
    There are a number of good sources of parts including but hardly limited to:

Jameco Electronics
    Mouser Electronics
    DigiKey www.digikey.com
    Gateway Electronics www.gatewayelec.com

Another handy tool is the solderless breadboard, since it allows you to insert or change parts withOUT bothering to solder ( this isnt good for very low signal projects, rather high frequency ( say 100Mhz up ) or a few other niches,but GENERALLY it's very handy for digital or most analog circuit work) And oscilliscope and voltmeter are also nearly necessary, I personally like varible power sources, pulse generators and several types of signal generators as well,but MOST of that can wait.

You should also find some books aimed at the level you understand to work from, both dealing with the principals and some with project ideas. Then you will most likely want to try ideas of your own.

And remember one basis principal: "if it didn't burn, you didn't learn"

well to SOME extent anyway.

c

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

_ || http://forcoder.org || free ebooks and video tutorials about // Visual Basic Objective-C C# R MATLAB Go C++ Visual Basic .NET Java Ruby Perl C PHP PL/SQL Delphi Scratch Assembly Python Swift JavaScript Ada VBScript ABAP COBOL Scheme Alice LabVIEW Erlang Julia Lua Kotlin Crystal D SAS Hack F# Fortran Awk Lisp ML Rust Apex Transact-SQL Dart Prolog Scala Bash FoxPro Clojure Logo //