Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Wich distro do people use around here?

jeweljewel Posts: 52Member
[b][red]This message was edited by jewel at 2003-5-22 13:28:42[/red][/b][hr]
what distro? hear, hear

Comments

• SouldrinkerSouldrinker Posts: 143Member
    hmzzz... I'm kind of new to this all (linux), I use SuSE 7.3 on my webservers, but if I'm going to have more time in the future I will look at things like redhat and bsd as well... maybe they are better ;)

best regards,

sebastian mohrenstecher
    executive secretary
    net::allies

www.net-allies.de
    [email protected]

• turingturing Posts: 5Member
    Processor: Athlon XP 1700+
    Video : Geforce3 Ti500
    Audio : SB Live Emu10k1
    Misc : ATI TV Wonder VE
    Printer : Samsung ML-1210
    Scanner : Canon 670U

There are some other devices as well (CD/RW/DVD) all work AMAZINGLY under linux.

I use Redhat 8.0 with synaptic borrowed from debian I guess, for managing rpms. the only problem I have is cron goes off at the wrong times and wine stopped working after a glibc update. up until then I even had kazaa running under wine.

The day I find Maya 4 for Linux, I will format my Windows partition and probably go mad with excitement.
  • BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by BASIC Friend at 2003-4-19 22:46:17[/red][/b][hr]
    I've been asked many times what distro is better and I have no clear answer. I prefer slackware, because it is not too bloated and it is highy cofigurable. However, I am sort of lazy (I'm defintly not 31337!), so I like the easy installation of Mandrake 9.x. Still, i don't care for DEs that try to be windows, so my prefered system is slackware 8.1 with the blackbox window manager. Lots of configurating, but once I have the menu loaded with all my favorite apps I'm happy. Right now, I have just one pc with linux. I installed a certain os by microsoft on what was the mandrake machine, but I'll probably take that off and install slackware on it later. The pc I have with linux, has a minimal slackware based distro called Vector < http://www.vectorlinux.com > on it. Vector is great! It has most of the client programs I need. The default browser is opera, so I installed mozilla from the slackware release. Vector's default desktop is icewm with a little known DE called DFM. I didn't care for icewm/DFM so I installed blackbox and translated the icewm menu to it. It also comes with Xfce. I also didn't care for Xfce. Vector would not be a good choice for a server or office machine, but for a home user it's fine.

As far as any distro being better than others, I don't think there are any. Some distros (like Vector) are more minimal, but the kernel is still as capable as the big distros.

• jeweljewel Posts: 52Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by BASIC Friend at 2003-4-19 22:46:17[/red][/b][hr]
    : I've been asked many times what distro is better and I have no clear answer. I prefer slackware, because it is not too bloated and it is highy cofigurable. However, I am sort of lazy (I'm defintly not 31337!), so I like the easy installation of Mandrake 9.x. Still, i don't care for DEs that try to be windows, so my prefered system is slackware 8.1 with the blackbox window manager. Lots of configurating, but once I have the menu loaded with all my favorite apps I'm happy. Right now, I have just one pc with linux. I installed a certain os by microsoft on what was the mandrake machine, but I'll probably take that off and install slackware on it later. The pc I have with linux, has a minimal slackware based distro called Vector < http://www.vectorlinux.com > on it. Vector is great! It has most of the client programs I need. The default browser is opera, so I installed mozilla from the slackware release. Vector's default desktop is icewm with a little known DE called DFM. I didn't care for icewm/DFM so I installed blackbox and translated the icewm menu to it. It also comes with Xfce. I also didn't care for Xfce. Vector would not be a good choice for a server or office machine, but for a home user it's fine.
    :
    : As far as any distro being better than others, I don't think there are any. Some distros (like Vector) are more minimal, but the kernel is still as capable as the big distros.
    :
    :
    :

Not 100% correct.. 2.4.18-3 (or something similar) from redhat 7.3 is known to be more stable than 2.4.18 vanilla. Also, if i remeber correct, some distros add more hw into the kernel etc..

But dont ask me where i read it, long time and can't remember where :)

But if you feel temped, theese kernels are avalible as srpm's
  • BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by BASIC Friend at 2003-4-19 22:46:17[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I've been asked many times what distro is better and I have no clear answer. I prefer slackware, because it is not too bloated and it is highy cofigurable. However, I am sort of lazy (I'm defintly not 31337!), so I like the easy installation of Mandrake 9.x. Still, i don't care for DEs that try to be windows, so my prefered system is slackware 8.1 with the blackbox window manager. Lots of configurating, but once I have the menu loaded with all my favorite apps I'm happy. Right now, I have just one pc with linux. I installed a certain os by microsoft on what was the mandrake machine, but I'll probably take that off and install slackware on it later. The pc I have with linux, has a minimal slackware based distro called Vector < http://www.vectorlinux.com > on it. Vector is great! It has most of the client programs I need. The default browser is opera, so I installed mozilla from the slackware release. Vector's default desktop is icewm with a little known DE called DFM. I didn't care for icewm/DFM so I installed blackbox and translated the icewm menu to it. It also comes with Xfce. I also didn't care for Xfce. Vector would not be a good choice for a server or office machine, but for a home user it's fine.
    : :
    : : As far as any distro being better than others, I don't think there are any. Some distros (like Vector) are more minimal, but the kernel is still as capable as the big distros.
    :
    :
    : Not 100% correct.. 2.4.18-3 (or something similar) from redhat 7.3 is known to be more stable than 2.4.18 vanilla. Also, if i remeber correct, some distros add more hw into the kernel etc..
    :
    : But dont ask me where i read it, long time and can't remember where :)
    :
    : But if you feel temped, theese kernels are avalible as srpm's
    :

2.4.18? Vector uses 2.4.20. When I said the kernel was just as capable, I was refering to VectorLinux.
  • fnoyanfnoyan Posts: 103Member
    Do you real want to learn Linux (or UNIX). If so, say goodbye to RedHat..As you sad, it is very easy, like Windowz :P. Slackware is good and I use it ;)

: [b][red]This message was edited by jewel at 2002-10-22 13:14:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi! just to drag a discussion along, i was woundering, wich distro do people tend to use here? I have been switching between debian, slack and redhat for some time now (can't seem to make up my mind ;) wich is 1 year aprox.. I think redhat is best because if you're a linux newbie, you don't have to do anything, also if youre an 31337 linux user (who tends to be lazy :P), you don't have to do anything either. so give me your answers :)
    :
    :