Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please help the newbie

Hello:
I am trying to self teach myself Shell programming. I just read the chapter and am not sure what this question is asking me. Can someone explain the answer to me. Much appreciated.

Q.
Add a -n option to mon that will invert the monitoring function. So

mon -n sandy

will check for sandy logging of the system and

mon -n -f /tmp/dataout &

will periodically check the removal of the specified file.

Comments

• couch potatocouch potato Member Posts: 2
    [b][red]This message was edited by couch potato at 2002-11-6 8:35:32[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hello:
    : I am trying to self teach myself Shell programming. I just read the chapter and am not sure what this question is asking me. Can someone explain the answer to me. Much appreciated.
    :
    : Q.
    : Add a -n option to mon that will invert the monitoring function. So
    :
    : mon -n sandy
    :
    : will check for sandy logging of the system and
    :
    : mon -n -f /tmp/dataout &
    :
    : will periodically check the removal of the specified file.

Well, Im not sure, Il have to check. I myself am learning Unix, on Mac OSX, until I get a copy of Red Hat 8.0. I found ls, pwd, cd, and open the commands I used the most. But I dont think you learn open, Linux is something different.
    : er...wait, I dont think i answered your questions at all.

• Bullet_09Bullet_09 Member Posts: 66
    I think what the question wants you to do is to edit the "mon" function so that when a user adds the option -n and -f then it should do what it's suppose to. I don't know what the command is for monitoring, but if you do, check out the manual page for it by typing " man nameOfCommand".

goodluck!

: Hello:
    : I am trying to self teach myself Shell programming. I just read the chapter and am not sure what this question is asking me. Can someone explain the answer to me. Much appreciated.
    :
    : Q.
    : Add a -n option to mon that will invert the monitoring function. So
    :
    : mon -n sandy
    :
    : will check for sandy logging of the system and
    :
    : mon -n -f /tmp/dataout &
    :
    : will periodically check the removal of the specified file.
    :

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

____ ( http://forcoder.org ) free video tutorials and ebooks about // Swift Assembly PHP Ruby JavaScript Objective-C R Visual Basic .NET C++ C Perl Visual Basic Java Python Scratch Go MATLAB Delphi PL/SQL C# Clojure Scala Erlang Lisp Hack Julia Fortran FoxPro Crystal Lua ABAP Awk Scheme Alice Ada Transact-SQL Logo Kotlin ML VBScript F# Apex Bash Prolog Dart Rust D SAS COBOL LabVIEW // ____