Filestream Data to Int

I have a file with numbers in it. What do I do to to use a file stream that takes the numbers as INTs not CHARs. I keep getting a type cast error if I .get a variable INT.

Comments

• : I have a file with numbers in it. What do I do to to use a file stream that takes the numbers as INTs not CHARs. I keep getting a type cast error if I .get a variable INT.
    :
    Also, how can I pass an Array as a Function parameter properly?
  • Have you tried using:

int a;
    fscanf (file, "%d", &a);

This skips all whitespace (spaces, newlines, tabs) and reads the next integer from a text file...

Be more specific in your second question please...

: : I have a file with numbers in it. What do I do to to use a file stream that takes the numbers as INTs not CHARs. I keep getting a type cast error if I .get a variable INT.
    : :
    : Also, how can I pass an Array as a Function parameter properly?
    :

• : Have you tried using:
    OK say I read the data then I want to send the entire array of that data into another function. I'm not quite sure how to do that. Thanx
    :
    : int a;
    : fscanf (file, "%d", &a);
    :
    : This skips all whitespace (spaces, newlines, tabs) and reads the next integer from a text file...
    :
    : Be more specific in your second question please...
    :
    : : : I have a file with numbers in it. What do I do to to use a file stream that takes the numbers as INTs not CHARs. I keep getting a type cast error if I .get a variable INT.
    : : :
    : : Also, how can I pass an Array as a Function parameter properly?
    :
    :

• Which Library is fscanf in?
    : OK say I read the data then I want to send the entire array of that data into another function. I'm not quite sure how to do that. Thanx
    :
    : : Have you tried using:
    : : int a;
    : : fscanf (file, "%d", &a);
    : : This skips all whitespace (spaces, newlines, tabs) and reads the next integer from a text file...
    : : Be more specific in your second question please...
    : : : : I have a file with numbers in it. What do I do to to use a file stream that takes the numbers as INTs not CHARs. I keep getting a type cast error if I .get a variable INT.
    : : : :
    : : : Also, how can I pass an Array as a Function parameter properly?
    :
    :

• fscanf is on stdio.h

About the array question:

Suppose you wanted to make a function to print the contents of an int vector. The function would be like this:

// the next line could also be:
    // void print_int_vector (int *vector, int n_elements)
    // it's exactly the same
    void print_int_vector (int vector[], int n_elements)
    {
    int loop;

for (loop=0; loop < n_elements; loop++) { // loop through each element
    printf ("%d ", vector[loop]); // print one more element
    }
    printf ("
    "); // end of the vector, advance one line...
    }

Now suppose that in another function you had a vector like:
    int my_vector[100];

If you want to print it's contents using the function I showed you, you do this:
    print_int_vector (my_vector, 100);

my_vector could also be a pointer to the first element in a vector...

I hope this is enough,
    Ricardo
    : Which Library is fscanf in?
    : : OK say I read the data then I want to send the entire array of that data into another function. I'm not quite sure how to do that. Thanx
    : : : Have you tried using:
    : : : int a;
    : : : fscanf (file, "%d", &a);
    : : : This skips all whitespace (spaces, newlines, tabs) and reads the next integer from a text file...
    : : : Be more specific in your second question please...
    : : : : : I have a file with numbers in it. What do I do to to use a file stream that takes the numbers as INTs not CHARs. I keep getting a type cast error if I .get a variable INT.
    : : : : :
    : : : : Also, how can I pass an Array as a Function parameter properly?
    : : : :
    :
    :