Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

My program killed my friends system

jmartinsonjmartinson Member Posts: 9
I wrote a simple (I thought) program for a friend of mine. The program allows users to enter product information in an Excel spreadsheet. I then extract the data and write it to an XML file for storage. The user may then retrieve the data for each product and display it as HTML in IE. The project references IE,XML and Excel.

I finished a prototype and used the package and deployment wizard to create an installation CD. I removed all the files from my machine (I am running XP Professional) that I had been using during development and installed from the CD. It worked fine.

I took the CD to my friend to show him the prototype and see what we wanted to do from there. He put the CD in his (Windows 98) machine and started the install. A window came up saying that some of his files were out of date and asked if he would like to update them now. He clicked yes, the files were updated and a window came up saying that he needed to restart. When he did, A window came up saying that one of his DLL,s was missing or could not be opened. Now he can't boot from C: or even re-install Windows 98 from his Windows 98 CD.

Fortunately he had recenly installed a new hard drive and still had his old one installed also. After some copying of files from the Windows 98 CD to his old hard drive, he was able to boot from it and access his data and programs that wrere on the new drive. He is still unable to boot from the new drive.

It appears that my program replaced, deleted or corrupted some of the files in the Win32 folder on the new hard drive.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and or how to fix it?

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• Bulgarian_VBBulgarian_VB Member Posts: 307
    Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

The problem is probably that you've installed some XP (or should I say NT) files on Win32 platform. Who knows?! One advice: Don't use Package & Deployment wizard! I don't understand why the "old" HDD does not want to boot the Windows. You said that your friend has Win 98 CD. Well, run the Setup directly from the CD (The CD is bootable, right?) As far as I know, Windows 98 setup cleans up the master boot record and writes information to boot 98. I have Win 98 SE. I had similar problem, and installing the windows by booting from the CD solved my problem. I this don't (or didn't) help, you may need to use "FDISK /MBR". Be very careful using this command, you must be prepared to make the drive bootable again, by using "sys c:" or whatever. Win 98 installation from bootable disc should do all the work! However, you may need to delete the old windows folder (don't forget to back up data, in this case!)

Bye

Best regards,
    Nikolay Semov
  • DarQDarQ Member Posts: 1,625
    Dont use the package and deployment wizard! it sucks!

If your app requires some DLL's (Like the vb6.0 DLL), just put them in the same directory as the app's EXE file! It works always.. Then compress it and give it to your mate. If he extracts the file and runs the exe, it WILL work for sure. Be sure to put ALL the required/used DLL's in the same directory. Ofcourse you should not add Kernel32.dll and things like that.

- vb 6.0 DLL
    - EXE
    - additional DLL's/OCX

No problem,:)

: I wrote a simple (I thought) program for a friend of mine. The program allows users to enter product information in an Excel spreadsheet. I then extract the data and write it to an XML file for storage. The user may then retrieve the data for each product and display it as HTML in IE. The project references IE,XML and Excel.
    :
    : I finished a prototype and used the package and deployment wizard to create an installation CD. I removed all the files from my machine (I am running XP Professional) that I had been using during development and installed from the CD. It worked fine.
    :
    : I took the CD to my friend to show him the prototype and see what we wanted to do from there. He put the CD in his (Windows 98) machine and started the install. A window came up saying that some of his files were out of date and asked if he would like to update them now. He clicked yes, the files were updated and a window came up saying that he needed to restart. When he did, A window came up saying that one of his DLL,s was missing or could not be opened. Now he can't boot from C: or even re-install Windows 98 from his Windows 98 CD.
    :
    : Fortunately he had recenly installed a new hard drive and still had his old one installed also. After some copying of files from the Windows 98 CD to his old hard drive, he was able to boot from it and access his data and programs that wrere on the new drive. He is still unable to boot from the new drive.
    :
    : It appears that my program replaced, deleted or corrupted some of the files in the Win32 folder on the new hard drive.
    :
    : Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and or how to fix it?
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : Jon
    :
    :

[HR]
    Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    [HR]

[GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]

• DarQDarQ Member Posts: 1,625
    Haha, Nikolav seems to agree with me about the evil package and deployment wizard.

: Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    :
    : The problem is probably that you've installed some XP (or should I say NT) files on Win32 platform. Who knows?! One advice: Don't use Package & Deployment wizard! I don't understand why the "old" HDD does not want to boot the Windows. You said that your friend has Win 98 CD. Well, run the Setup directly from the CD (The CD is bootable, right?) As far as I know, Windows 98 setup cleans up the master boot record and writes information to boot 98. I have Win 98 SE. I had similar problem, and installing the windows by booting from the CD solved my problem. I this don't (or didn't) help, you may need to use "FDISK /MBR". Be very careful using this command, you must be prepared to make the drive bootable again, by using "sys c:" or whatever. Win 98 installation from bootable disc should do all the work! However, you may need to delete the old windows folder (don't forget to back up data, in this case!)
    :
    : Bye
    :
    : Best regards,
    : Nikolay Semov
    :

[HR]
    Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    [HR]

[GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]

• jmartinsonjmartinson Member Posts: 9
    Nikolay,

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be the NT thing. I will have him try booting from the CD again.

How can I create a distributable installation CD without using the apparenly evil Package & Deployment wizard?

Thanks again for your help.

Jon

: Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    :
    : The problem is probably that you've installed some XP (or should I say NT) files on Win32 platform. Who knows?! One advice: Don't use Package & Deployment wizard! I don't understand why the "old" HDD does not want to boot the Windows. You said that your friend has Win 98 CD. Well, run the Setup directly from the CD (The CD is bootable, right?) As far as I know, Windows 98 setup cleans up the master boot record and writes information to boot 98. I have Win 98 SE. I had similar problem, and installing the windows by booting from the CD solved my problem. I this don't (or didn't) help, you may need to use "FDISK /MBR". Be very careful using this command, you must be prepared to make the drive bootable again, by using "sys c:" or whatever. Win 98 installation from bootable disc should do all the work! However, you may need to delete the old windows folder (don't forget to back up data, in this case!)
    :
    : Bye
    :
    : Best regards,
    : Nikolay Semov
    :

• lionblionb Member Posts: 1,688 ✭✭
    : Nikolay,
    :
    : Thanks for the info. I thought it might be the NT thing. I will have him try booting from the CD again.
    :
    : How can I create a distributable installation CD without using the apparenly evil Package & Deployment wizard?
    :
    You can download InnoSetup package from
    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
    It's free, easy to use. Just read help.
    Thanks for the reply,

I now know not to use the package & deployment wizard.

I will ask you the same question I asked Nikolay.

How would you reccomend I create a distributable installation CD?

Thanks for your help.

Jon

: Haha, Nikolav seems to agree with me about the evil package and deployment wizard.
    :
    : : Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    : :
    : : The problem is probably that you've installed some XP (or should I say NT) files on Win32 platform. Who knows?! One advice: Don't use Package & Deployment wizard! I don't understand why the "old" HDD does not want to boot the Windows. You said that your friend has Win 98 CD. Well, run the Setup directly from the CD (The CD is bootable, right?) As far as I know, Windows 98 setup cleans up the master boot record and writes information to boot 98. I have Win 98 SE. I had similar problem, and installing the windows by booting from the CD solved my problem. I this don't (or didn't) help, you may need to use "FDISK /MBR". Be very careful using this command, you must be prepared to make the drive bootable again, by using "sys c:" or whatever. Win 98 installation from bootable disc should do all the work! However, you may need to delete the old windows folder (don't forget to back up data, in this case!)
    : : Bye
    : : Best regards,
    : : Nikolay Semov
    :
    : [HR]
    : Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    : [HR]
    :
    : [GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]
    :
    :

I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

: : Nikolay,
    : : Thanks for the info. I thought it might be the NT thing. I will have him try booting from the CD again.
    : : How can I create a distributable installation CD without using the apparenly evil Package & Deployment wizard?
    : You can download InnoSetup package from
    : http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
    : It's free, easy to use. Just read help.
    :

: I'll give it a try.
    :
    : Thanks for your help.
    :
    :
    You can try but I think it's not Installation package problem. Seems to me it's mostly WinXP - Win98 problem. We faced problem like that trying to install app, which was built in Win2000, in WinXP machine.
    : : I'll give it a try.
    : : Thanks for your help.
    : : Jon
    : You can try but I think it's not Installation package problem. Seems to me it's mostly WinXP - Win98 problem. We faced problem like that trying to install app, which was built in Win2000, in WinXP machine.
    :
    I was wondering about that. Also the programs I reference in my project.

If I reference Excel 9.0 (which is what I have on my machine) in my project, and the machine that the program gets installed on has an earlier version of Excel, will it work?

There must be a way to build the program on an XP machine and have it be compatible with other windows platforms. Or do you have to build the program on the platform that you want to run it on? If this is the case, you would have to have multiple machines, or multiple platforms installed on your development machine, ---- or something????

I can see maybe having to develop an NT version and a 9x version. But I would think you should be able to do both from a single machine using VB 6.0 (or whatever version you have). The VB code should work on any platform, the references however might be a different story. I do not know how that works.

Jon

: If I reference Excel 9.0 (which is what I have on my machine) in my project, and the machine that the program gets installed on has an earlier version of Excel, will it work?

[blue]I am not sure but I think it may cause out-of-date problem [/blue]
    :
    : There must be a way to build the program on an XP machine and have it be compatible with other windows platforms.
    :
    [blue]According to uncle Bill - Yes but ... It's Microsoft and you never know. I do not know that way[/blue]

Or do you have to build the program on the platform that you want to run it on? If this is the case, you would have to have multiple machines, or multiple platforms installed on your development machine, ---- or something????
    :
    [blue] In my company we prefer to do everything (developers and users machine) in WinNT/2000 environment. This way is more stable for us. At least we have less head ache.[/blue]
    :
    : I can see maybe having to develop an NT version and a 9x version. But I would think you should be able to do both from a single machine using VB 6.0 (or whatever version you have). The VB code should work on any platform, the references however might be a different story. I do not know how that works.
    :
    :
    :