Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Automating Windows Preferences

aflat362aflat362 Member Posts: 50
as an IT type I work on many different computers. Every time I log on to a new workstation the first thing I do is open Windows Explorer and select I go to View --> Details then I go to Tools --> Folder Options -->View and check "Display Full path in title bar" and uncheck "hide file extensions for known file types" and click view "Like Current Folder"

I'm guessing that there are a lot of you who do the same.

I would like to know how to go about writing a VBS that will take care of this kind of stuff for me. A script would probably be best because I wouldn't have to install any software on the machine and DLLs I could just carry around a floppy or access it over the network or whatever. OR maybe I'm wrong and an executable is the way to go.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Allan

Comments

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Member Posts: 3,948
    : as an IT type I work on many different computers. Every time I log on to a new workstation the first thing I do is open Windows Explorer and select I go to View --> Details then I go to Tools --> Folder Options -->View and check "Display Full path in title bar" and uncheck "hide file extensions for known file types" and click view "Like Current Folder"
    :
    : I'm guessing that there are a lot of you who do the same.
    :
    : I would like to know how to go about writing a VBS that will take care of this kind of stuff for me. A script would probably be best because I wouldn't have to install any software on the machine and DLLs I could just carry around a floppy or access it over the network or whatever. OR maybe I'm wrong and an executable is the way to go.
    :
    : Any Ideas would be appreciated.
    :
    : Thanks!
    :
    : Allan
    :

I would suggest a reg file.

=======================
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerCabinetState]
    "FullPath"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced]
    "HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
    =======================

Merge it on the target system and the settings are done. I don't know what it would take to get the settings to take effect; could be re-open any open explorer windows, could be log off. Anything better will possibly require something that opens the appropriate options dialog, walks the controls, sets them, etc.; in essence pretending to be the user.

Hope this help!
    KDL
  • phph Member Posts: 393
    : : as an IT type I work on many different computers. Every time I log on to a new workstation the first thing I do is open Windows Explorer and select I go to View --> Details then I go to Tools --> Folder Options -->View and check "Display Full path in title bar" and uncheck "hide file extensions for known file types" and click view "Like Current Folder"
    : :
    : : I'm guessing that there are a lot of you who do the same.
    : : I would like to know how to go about writing a VBS that will take care of this kind of stuff for me. A script would probably be best because I wouldn't have to install any software on the machine and DLLs I could just carry around a floppy or access it over the network or whatever. OR maybe I'm wrong and an executable is the way to go.
    : : Any Ideas would be appreciated.
    : : Thanks!
    : : Allan
    :
    : I would suggest a reg file.
    :
    : =======================
    : REGEDIT4
    :
    : [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerCabinetState]
    : "FullPath"=dword:00000000
    :
    : [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced]
    : "HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
    : =======================
    :
    : Merge it on the target system and the settings are done. I don't know what it would take to get the settings to take effect; could be re-open any open explorer windows, could be log off. Anything better will possibly require something that opens the appropriate options dialog, walks the controls, sets them, etc.; in essence pretending to be the user.
    :
    : Hope this help!
    : KDL
    :

as an IT, wouldnt it be easier for you to use roaming profiles? that way, u log on to the machine, and your profile loads all your preferences as well as "show full path in title bar" ;)
    [red]ph[/red][blue][/blue][red]t[/red]
    [red]http://fade.to/phet[/red]
    [blue]12d.hypermart.net[/blue]
    [red][email protected][/red]

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Member Posts: 3,948
    <<... wouldnt it be easier for you to use roaming profiles? ...>>

Probably.
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

________ [ http://forcoder.org ] free ebooks and video tutorials about < JavaScript Objective-C Visual Basic .NET Visual Basic Delphi R Ruby MATLAB Swift Scratch Java Python Perl C Go C# PHP PL/SQL Assembly C++ Alice Transact-SQL COBOL Scala Julia Erlang Scheme VBScript Rust Hack Apex ML Dart Clojure ABAP Ada SAS LabVIEW Kotlin Crystal Logo FoxPro Awk Fortran F# D Prolog Bash Lisp Lua /> _____