dll calls

Hello

I am trying to make a Visual Basic program to replace the its current DOS one. The problem is that the DOS program makes calls to a DLL called 'BXODDB.DLL'. Is there a way of finding out what calls and commands this DLL file will accept so I can utilise it. Is it even possible to make calls to a DLL that would normally be used by a DOS program.

Thanks

Komoto

Comments

• : Hello
    :
    : I am trying to make a Visual Basic program to replace the its current DOS one. The problem is that the DOS program makes calls to a DLL called 'BXODDB.DLL'. Is there a way of finding out what calls and commands this DLL file will accept so I can utilise it. Is it even possible to make calls to a DLL that would normally be used by a DOS program.

Add a module to your program and put something like this in it:

Public Declare Function OpenProcess Lib "kernel32" _
    (ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long, _
    ByVal bInheritHandle As Long,
    ByVal dwProcessID As Long) As Long

You will, of course, need to know the name of the function, it's arguments and their types, and the return type, and replace kernel32 with the name of your DLL.
  • You have to find out what functions are in that DLL and what the arguments are of those functions and what their type. Only then you can call the DLL. To get the names of the functions you can use the Dependancy Walker of Microsoft Visual Studio.

Also, you can try to write your code without the DLL. Maybe, the tasks you want to complete are easier that you can see and don't need that DLL.
  • Thanks guys, that is a good help.

The DLL serves a special purpose of looking at the graphics buffer of a gamesconsol, so I wont be able to figure it out without the DLL :)

Komoto
  • First, try to find a DLL that does the same job. If it doesn't exist on the Web I don't know what you can do around this problem.

Decompile the DLL and see how the functions are written?

To use the Dependancy Walker that comes with the VS 6.0 and see the functions' names?

Find a DLL caller program determining what the arguments are?

Find the person who wrote that damned DLL?

Start programming anything else?

Can anyone here help this guy/girl?