make non-standard floppy with pascal or assembler

Dear sir.
I am a student in Viet Nam.
I want make a floppy disk with one sector not found ( sector not found but sector not bad), make this disk with pascal or assembler program
Can you help me for more information about that, help me if you know program do that or source code about that
Thank you very much
Regards
huyhhh, from Viet Nam
email huyhhh2002@yahoo.com

Comments

• : Dear sir.
    : I am a student in Viet Nam.
    : I want make a floppy disk with one sector not found ( sector not found but sector not bad), make this disk with pascal or assembler program
    : Can you help me for more information about that, help me if you know program do that or source code about that
    : Thank you very much
    : Regards
    : huyhhh, from Viet Nam
    : email huyhhh2002@yahoo.com
    :
    Sector marking must be done in assembler. You can then call that procedure from a Pascal program. I suggest you ask that question at the assembler messageboard.
  • : : Dear sir.
    : : I am a student in Viet Nam.
    : : I want make a floppy disk with one sector not found ( sector not found but sector not bad), make this disk with pascal or assembler program
    : : Can you help me for more information about that, help me if you know program do that or source code about that
    : : Thank you very much
    : : Regards
    : : huyhhh, from Viet Nam
    : : email huyhhh2002@yahoo.com
    : :
    : Sector marking must be done in assembler. You can then call that procedure from a Pascal program. I suggest you ask that question at the assembler messageboard.
    :

Not True, There are various Floppy controller chips out there, Intel for one sells them. They have a technical reference manual with various specs for manufacturers and another for programmers. I've looked into this before. One thing is certain however, you need to directly code to the Ports - the actual I/O ports and I don't think Windows is going to allow you to do that. You could write a DOS based program (in assembly or pascal or whatever - just have to write to the ports) that makes your disk. I tried many times to create a completely custom floppy and failed miserably - because it is like writing two programs at once. The floppy controller has its own assembly opcodes or commands (#'s you send to the port to describe the instruction and then others, depending on the "command" that have the data you want to send. But it's nothing any assembler you will find will have. You need the manual's. It gets complicated kind of. You need to set up your own interrupts to get "ACK's" (acknowledgement) from the disk controller so you can send the next command and poll success or failure of the last. So You have the program that talks to the disk drive - interrupt routines and everything, and then you have a long series of controller commands you need to pass to the port. I was able to make one hell of a sector editor when I was finished - which you have to be careful loading that data from the drive cuz if the buffer crosses a 64k boundry it fails. You need to carefully align the disk sector read/write buffer.

Go to intel's web site and look up floppy controllers.

Good Luck!

(You need to hardcode manually how you want each track mapped out - including the sync marks between sectors)

Jason P Sage