Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How can I have my program create a file archive?

I would like to make a program that can create a type of file archive and then be able to read and write to that archive. I would like to know how I might do this. Are there different ways to do this? Can I have it compress files that go in the archive?

Could someone please tell me where to start?

Comments

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : I would like to make a program that can create a type of file archive and then be able to read and write to that archive. I would like to know how I might do this. Are there different ways to do this? Can I have it compress files that go in the archive?
    :
    : Could someone please tell me where to start?
    :

[blue]Are you asking about a file with the archive attribute set? This is just an ordinary file -- nothing special about it. After it is created and written, just set the archive attribute, which really does nothing. Some backup programs may use this to know which files have already been archived to a tape drive or some other type of media.[/blue]
  • ScriptStar2063ScriptStar2063 Member Posts: 65
    [b][red]This message was edited by ScriptStar2063 at 2003-2-13 19:52:10[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I would like to make a program that can create a type of file archive and then be able to read and write to that archive. I would like to know how I might do this. Are there different ways to do this? Can I have it compress files that go in the archive?
    : :
    : : Could someone please tell me where to start?
    : :
    :
    :
    : [blue]Are you asking about a file with the archive attribute set? This is just an ordinary file -- nothing special about it. After it is created and written, just set the archive attribute, which really does nothing. Some backup programs may use this to know which files have already been archived to a tape drive or some other type of media.[/blue]
    :

I just want to have my program to be able to create a single file to store multiple files in and be able to add or delete files inside.

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : I just want to have my program to be able to create a single file to store multiple files in and be able to add or delete files inside.
    :
    :
    [blue]here is a place with free file compression libraries, similar to plzip

http://www.thefreecountry.com/sourcecode/compression.shtml