Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

slow cgi / problem with new window / apache config?

drzarkovdrzarkov Member Posts: 57

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    Hi,

: My name is Edward and currently developing perl-scripts to build an
    : intranet. I use Linux (Suse 8.2) as OS with SAPDB with Perl 5.8 and
    : Apache-Webserver 1.3. I encountered the follow problem.
    :
    : ....
    :
    : the problem is: when I click on this anchored-button, it takes about
    : 4-5 seconds till the new window pops up!!!
    :
    : ....
    :
    : the cgi-script needs only 0.5 sec. to execute and show the page in
    : the main-frame...but I need a new (custom) window!
    :
    : please help. I really like to understand that! It seems to me it has
    : something to do with the configuration of apache.

Sounds scarily like a browser issue rather than a problem with what you've done. Or does it happen on every machine and in every browser? Maybe it's worth trying target="_blank" or trying it using the JavaScript window.open method, neither of which should make a difference, but they are things I migth try.

Very weird... Hard to see how it's server side for me becuase the server can deliver the page in 0.5 seconds, and furthermore I believe that the page doesn't get requested till the new windows has been opened.

Strange...very strange...

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• drzarkovdrzarkov Member Posts: 57
    >>Strange...very strange...

lol

but you were right! seems to be a browser problem! Tried Netscape on the same and Internet Explorer 5 on a different machine and it works perfectly (it should be! I was wondering if my brain already melted by that heat).

: but you were right! seems to be a browser problem! Tried Netscape on
    : the same and Internet Explorer 5 on a different machine and it works
    : perfectly (it should be! I was wondering if my brain already melted
    : by that heat).
    I've seen similar issues before; when I clicked a link that opened a new window IE hung for about 30 seconds (!!!) and then showed a meaningless error. After clicking OK, the window then opened and the page loaded perfectly. On other systems/browsers, it loaded fine. Looks like you've got similar issues but without the the error and a slightly shorter wait.

Surely, there's only one company who could write a web browser of this standard...

Jonathan

###

• drzarkovdrzarkov Member Posts: 57
    well, here is something more funny about IE 6:

at first I thought of an url resolving problem and I tried to use an absolute url to the script. for example:

[code]http://192.168.1.26/cgi-bin/admincontacts.pl?cmd=new&arg=contact[/code]

after 4 sec. I got an error from the browser telling me it can't find the page

[code]/cgi-bin/192.168.1.26/cgi-bin/admincontacts.pl?cmd=new&arg=contact[/code]

sometimes (really!) it reloads the right page after that error.

I often cannot reproduce that error. that doesnt make it better!

E
    : : but you were right! seems to be a browser problem! Tried Netscape on
    : : the same and Internet Explorer 5 on a different machine and it works
    : : perfectly (it should be! I was wondering if my brain already melted
    : : by that heat).
    : I've seen similar issues before; when I clicked a link that opened a new window IE hung for about 30 seconds (!!!) and then showed a meaningless error. After clicking OK, the window then opened and the page loaded perfectly. On other systems/browsers, it loaded fine. Looks like you've got similar issues but without the the error and a slightly shorter wait.
    :
    : Surely, there's only one company who could write a web browser of this standard...
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :

: well, here is something more funny about IE 6:
    Even more funny than the bug where you put and so long as it is outside of a ... tag, IE will reliably crash? ;-)

: at first I thought of an url resolving problem and I tried to use an
    : absolute url to the script. for example:
    :
    : [code]http://192.168.1.26/cgi-bin/admincontacts.pl?cmd=new&arg=contact[/code]
    :
    : after 4 sec. I got an error from the browser telling me it can't
    : find the page
    :
    : [code]/cgi-bin/192.168.1.26/cgi-bin/admincontacts.pl?cmd=new&arg=contact[/code]
    :
    : sometimes (really!) it reloads the right page after that error.
    :
    : I often cannot reproduce that error. that doesnt make it better!

These are the errors that you tell people about and I'm sure half of them think "ah, they must have balls'd it up"! I believe you though...I ain't seen that one, but I've seen all kinds of similar and crazy IE bugs.

A friend who works in embedded systems told me about one really weird one he came accross where one of the 5.x versions had a dodgy implementation of HTTP redirection. It destroyed various bits of session data in a redirect it shouldn't have done, rendering a user authentication scheme he'd worked really hard one useless for people using that version of IE, even though it worked on other browsers and other versions of IE. I don't know what happenned in the end with it...you can imagine the frustrated hours put in to try and work out what was up though!

If they can't get a web client right, heck knows what their web server is like. Oh, hang on...we do know... ;-)

Jonathan

###