Kylix [Linker Error] Unresolved external 'function name' referenced

Hello Friends,

I m facing problem while running Kylix Application
Following are the details:

I had downloaded Speex (Audio Codec) Library and installed it on my Linux (RedHat 7.2) machine.It got installed properly and library files (libspeex.so, libspeex.so.1, libspeex.so.1.0.0) got installed in /usr/lib directory. Now i had specified all include nd library paths in Kylix. When i use "speex.h" (part of speex audio codec library) in my source code then my program gets complied successfully. But when i run the same program i get linker error exception as follows
[linker error] Unresolved external 'speex_bits_init' referenced from xyz.o

Here xyz.o is one of my project file and 'speex_bits_init' is a function (part of speex library) and i using many other functions like this from same library. Now i guess problem is Kylix is unable to load the speex library. I also tried setting environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Still facing problem with linker error.

Can anyone help me out and let me know how to solve this linker error problem. I would be greateful to you.

Thanx in advance.

dim79

Comments

• : Hello Friends,
    :
    : I m facing problem while running Kylix Application
    : Following are the details:
    :
    : I had downloaded Speex (Audio Codec) Library and installed it on my Linux (RedHat 7.2) machine.It got installed properly and library files (libspeex.so, libspeex.so.1, libspeex.so.1.0.0) got installed in /usr/lib directory. Now i had specified all include nd library paths in Kylix. When i use "speex.h" (part of speex audio codec library) in my source code then my program gets complied successfully. But when i run the same program i get linker error exception as follows
    : [linker error] Unresolved external 'speex_bits_init' referenced from xyz.o
    :
    : Here xyz.o is one of my project file and 'speex_bits_init' is a function (part of speex library) and i using many other functions like this from same library. Now i guess problem is Kylix is unable to load the speex library. I also tried setting environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Still facing problem with linker error.
    :
    : Can anyone help me out and let me know how to solve this linker error problem. I would be greateful to you.
    :
    : Thanx in advance.
    :
    : dim79
    :
    I know it's poor form but have you tried hard-coding the path to the library into your shared object? I have a component that only worked correctly when I actually wrote the path to the library into the source. Of course, then you run into the problem of different *nix's putting their libraries wherever they feel like.....
  • : : Hello Friends,
    : :
    : : I m facing problem while running Kylix Application
    : : Following are the details:
    : : I had downloaded Speex (Audio Codec) Library and installed it on my Linux (RedHat 7.2) machine.It got installed properly and library files (libspeex.so, libspeex.so.1, libspeex.so.1.0.0) got installed in /usr/lib directory. Now i had specified all include nd library paths in Kylix. When i use "speex.h" (part of speex audio codec library) in my source code then my program gets complied successfully. But when i run the same program i get linker error exception as follows
    : : [linker error] Unresolved external 'speex_bits_init' referenced from xyz.o
    : : Here xyz.o is one of my project file and 'speex_bits_init' is a function (part of speex library) and i using many other functions like this from same library. Now i guess problem is Kylix is unable to load the speex library. I also tried setting environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Still facing problem with linker error.
    : : Can anyone help me out and let me know how to solve this linker error problem. I would be greateful to you.
    : : Thanx in advance.
    : : dim79
    : I know it's poor form but have you tried hard-coding the path to the library into your shared object? I have a component that only worked correctly when I actually wrote the path to the library into the source. Of course, then you run into the problem of different *nix's putting their libraries wherever they feel like.....
    :

How to hard-code the path to the library. You mentioned some shared object ?? What is it ? I m not using any shared object. Problem still persists.
  • : : : Hello Friends,
    : : :
    : : : I m facing problem while running Kylix Application
    : : : Following are the details:
    : : : I had downloaded Speex (Audio Codec) Library and installed it on my Linux (RedHat 7.2) machine.It got installed properly and library files (libspeex.so, libspeex.so.1, libspeex.so.1.0.0) got installed in /usr/lib directory. Now i had specified all include nd library paths in Kylix. When i use "speex.h" (part of speex audio codec library) in my source code then my program gets complied successfully. But when i run the same program i get linker error exception as follows
    : : : [linker error] Unresolved external 'speex_bits_init' referenced from xyz.o
    : : : Here xyz.o is one of my project file and 'speex_bits_init' is a function (part of speex library) and i using many other functions like this from same library. Now i guess problem is Kylix is unable to load the speex library. I also tried setting environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Still facing problem with linker error.
    : : : Can anyone help me out and let me know how to solve this linker error problem. I would be greateful to you.
    : : : Thanx in advance.
    : : : dim79
    : : I know it's poor form but have you tried hard-coding the path to the library into your shared object? I have a component that only worked correctly when I actually wrote the path to the library into the source. Of course, then you run into the problem of different *nix's putting their libraries wherever they feel like.....
    :
    : How to hard-code the path to the library. You mentioned some shared object ?? What is it ? I m not using any shared object. Problem still persists.
    :
    libspeex.[b]SO[/b] would be a shared object, no? You can call them libraries too. What I mean is: instead of setting an environment variable like LD_LIBRARY_PATH, actually write the path into one of the base classes for your project. E.G.:
    [code]
    DEFAULT_DLL_LOCATION = '/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10';
    [/code]
    Then pass that to your LoadLib function. HTH
  • There is a program named "ldd" that should be on your
    system. It will list all the dynamic library that a
    program uses, along with anything it is missing.

You might try running the command:
    [code]
    ldd /full/name/of/your/program
    [/code]
    and look for any lines that say something like
    [code]
    somelib.so => (not found)
    [/code]

There is also a program called "nm" that will list
    all the function names in a *.so file.
    So you could do:
    [code]
    nm /full/path/to/speex.so | grep speex_bits_init
    [/code]
    to see if the function is actually available.