Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

OS programming

assuming one has all the specs for a machine, and a good working knowledge of assembler/machine code and electronics architecture, how could i go about making a very simple OS for an old 8086 machine? i could get all the fine details like individual processor manuals and such and i can readily open up the comp. do i boot up on the A drive and then hardcode the OS into memory?

Comments

• You simply write any necessary drivers, put a program in the boot sector that starts your OS.

This usually requires the boot sector program to load a file from the HD/FD (using BIOS or direct IO) to a memory location, the far-calling the loaded file.

The OS should at very least, implement some sort of file system and file handling procedures.

You can the have the shell handle loading executables, or you can have it be part of the OS as well.

Since you are using an 8086 you can use BIOS to handle most things, which takes a lot of work off you for drivers. If you were making a protected-mode OS then you wouldn't be able to use BIOS (after you entered protected-mode you could still use it before).

• : assuming one has all the specs for a machine, and a good working knowledge of assembler/machine code and electronics architecture, how could i go about making a very simple OS for an old 8086 machine? i could get all the fine details like individual processor manuals and such and i can readily open up the comp. do i boot up on the A drive and then hardcode the OS into memory?

:

www.freedos.org is a great place, check it out.

• Go here http://www.skylab.org/~sabre/os/ if you have any more questions after that let me know and Ill do what I can to help. Its not that hard to program a SIMPLE os.