Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Really fast MMX blitter

I was thinking about making a MMX masked blitter routine in assembler for the speed. How fast are the OpenGl and DirectDraw routines? How much of a speed boost do you think I could get? This would be a memory to memory blitter, no vid mem involved, so no hw acceleration.

Thanks

BenGmo

Comments

• : I was thinking about making a MMX masked blitter routine in assembler for the speed. How fast are the OpenGl and DirectDraw routines? How much of a speed boost do you think I could get? This would be a memory to memory blitter, no vid mem involved, so no hw acceleration.

: Thanks

: BenGmo

:

Well, the MOVQ instruction can move 8 bytes in 1 cycle,although you'd need two of them to move the bytes, as you can't go from mem-to-mem. However, you'd basically have to write the code and do speed tests to be 100% certain.

Matthew Gross

[email protected]

URL:http://acheronx.resnet.tamu.edu/home/

• Hello, I'm a girl. Imagine that. One day you'll see one, she probably won't like you. Try going outside, washing regularly and stop playing Quake. I once was like you, but now I live life to the max. As regards your blitter chip I recommend using the PSRZ-1102 model for increased speed.