writing links in a loop?

i want to cycle through my db, and there's a field called "PostNum." i want to check if it matches a variable that should increase by 1 each pass. for some reason it doesn't write the links. this is the code for that, i've already opened the db and all that:
[code]
If Not adoRS.EOF Then
Do Until adoRs.EOF
I = I + 1
If adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = I Then
Response.Write ""%><%Response.Write(adoRs.Fields("UserName") & " " & adoRs.Fields("Title"))%>
<%
Else
adoRs.MoveNext
End If
Loop
Else
Response.Write "There are no current post."
End If
[/code]

Comments

• Hi,

Hard to tell without the entire code...
    Did you try to place the icrement part like this:

If Not adoRS.EOF Then
    Do Until adoRs.EOF
    If adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = I Then
    Response.Write ""%>
    <%Response.Write(adoRs.Fields("UserName") & " " & adoRs.Fields("Title"))%>

<%
    Else
    adoRs.MoveNext
    End If
    I = I + 1
    Loop
    Else
    Response.Write "There are no current post."
    End If

Also, I'm confused by the usage of <% %> - you should only surround variables, not the entire link string, because that's part of the html, not vbscript.

Eg.
    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    dim msg
    msg = "Hello"
    %>

<%=msg%>

: i want to cycle through my db, and there's a field called "PostNum." i want to check if it matches a variable that should increase by 1 each pass. for some reason it doesn't write the links. this is the code for that, i've already opened the db and all that:
    : [code]
    : If Not adoRS.EOF Then
    : Do Until adoRs.EOF
    : I = I + 1
    : If adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = I Then
    : Response.Write ""%><%Response.Write(adoRs.Fields("UserName") & " " & adoRs.Fields("Title"))%><%
    : Else
    : adoRs.MoveNext
    : End If
    : Loop
    : Else
    : Response.Write "There are no current post."
    : End If
    : [/code]
    :

[hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)

• let me restart my problem lol. i found some other problems that i don't know how to fix. i need to somehow have a counter, but it needs to be "saved". i thought that using application("counter")=application("counter") + 1 would do it, but it is cleared every time. i need to be able to increase the counter in some code and somehow save it, then with the links part, have maybe a for loop after i opened up the database, see if the "PostNum" = I (loop var) and then display some fields as a link. when i add new data to the db, i want something like:
    [code]
    Application("counter") = Application("counter") + 1 'or something
    'like that since that didn't seem to work.
    adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = counter 'i know how to do the db stuff,
    'but not having a counter that will save each time that code is run.
    [/code]
    Then in a different page create links with certain fields.
  • Hiii.... just one more thought...Is that loop working now? I tried something similar somewhere and that was the way I did it.

I forgot to look at the most basic thing in your code... the Response.write. When you use response write you code the entire string inside asp, so what are those <% %> doing there? Response.write sends everything that is in parentheses (variable and value pairs) to the browser.

Response.write("Login")

Ok, I'll try to look at your counter problem later.

Cheers,

Lillu

: let me restart my problem lol. i found some other problems that i don't know how to fix. i need to somehow have a counter, but it needs to be "saved". i thought that using application("counter")=application("counter") + 1 would do it, but it is cleared every time. i need to be able to increase the counter in some code and somehow save it, then with the links part, have maybe a for loop after i opened up the database, see if the "PostNum" = I (loop var) and then display some fields as a link. when i add new data to the db, i want something like:
    : Application("counter") = Application("counter") + 1 'or something
    : 'like that since that didn't seem to work.
    : adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = counter 'i know how to do the db stuff,
    : 'but not having a counter that will save each time that code is run.
    : Then in a different page create links with certain fields.
    :

[hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)

• ok... one more correction:

Response.Write doesn't take parentheses, so it looks like:

: Response.write "Login"

: Hiii.... just one more thought...Is that loop working now? I tried something similar somewhere and that was the way I did it.
    :
    : I forgot to look at the most basic thing in your code... the Response.write. When you use response write you code the entire string inside asp, so what are those <% %> doing there? Response.write sends everything that is in parentheses (variable and value pairs) to the browser.
    :
    : Response.write("Login")
    :
    : Ok, I'll try to look at your counter problem later.
    :
    : Cheers,
    :
    : Lillu
    :
    : : let me restart my problem lol. i found some other problems that i don't know how to fix. i need to somehow have a counter, but it needs to be "saved". i thought that using application("counter")=application("counter") + 1 would do it, but it is cleared every time. i need to be able to increase the counter in some code and somehow save it, then with the links part, have maybe a for loop after i opened up the database, see if the "PostNum" = I (loop var) and then display some fields as a link. when i add new data to the db, i want something like:
    : : [code]
    : : Application("counter") = Application("counter") + 1 'or something
    : : 'like that since that didn't seem to work.
    : : adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = counter 'i know how to do the db stuff,
    : : 'but not having a counter that will save each time that code is run.
    : : [/code]
    : : Then in a different page create links with certain fields.
    : :
    :
    : [hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)
    :
    :

• : ok... one more correction:
    :
    : Response.Write doesn't take parentheses, so it looks like:
    :
    : : Response.write "Login"

ok thanks, that might be my problem with the response.write but i dont get an error either...
  • : let me restart my problem lol. i found some other problems that i don't know how to fix. i need to somehow have a counter, but it needs to be "saved". i thought that using application("counter")=application("counter") + 1 would do it, but it is cleared every time. i need to be able to increase the counter in some code and somehow save it, then with the links part, have maybe a for loop after i opened up the database, see if the "PostNum" = I (loop var) and then display some fields as a link. when i add new data to the db, i want something like:
    : Application("counter") = Application("counter") + 1 'or something
    : 'like that since that didn't seem to work.
    : adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = counter 'i know how to do the db stuff,
    : 'but not having a counter that will save each time that code is run.
    : Then in a different page create links with certain fields.
    :

[code]
    'you have to intially set the value of Application("counter") =0
    'somewhere in your application.It is usually done in Application_on_Start in the global.asa file and thissub is called when
    'the application is first started , or when the first asp page from your site is called.
    Application.Lock 'to prevent simultaneous updation
    Application("counter") = Application("counter") + 1 'Must work
    Appliation.Unlock

adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = Application("counter")
    [/code]

• : [code]
    : 'you have to intially set the value of Application("counter") =0
    : 'somewhere in your application.It is usually done in Application_on_Start in the global.asa file and thissub is called when
    : 'the application is first started , or when the first asp page from your site is called.
    : Application.Lock 'to prevent simultaneous updation
    : Application("counter") = Application("counter") + 1 'Must work
    : Appliation.Unlock
    :
    : adoRs.Fields("PostNum") = Application("counter")
    :
    i already have all that, my code just doesn't write the links.

• i finally got everything to work! it had to do with my counter. instead of using application, i pulled out the Fields("PostNum") and added 1, then when i wrote the new post to the db i used that. thanks for your guy's help.