ADO/Access/NT4/Runtime error 3706-Provider not found

I have a progam in vb6 that connects to an access 97 database on NT4(some computers will be running XP). The program works fine on computers that have vb6 installed but does not work on other computers. Let me say, it will run on other computers but will not connect to the database stored on a shared drive. It generates the runtime error 3706 "provider not found. check to make sure it is properly installed". i have tried using the jet3.51 and 4.0, i have tried registering .dll files, i have installed countless files from the mdsn.com website dealing with this error and it hasnt helped. im sure that it has to be a file that is missing that is keeping it from locating the provider. what else can i do. please help.... thank you in advance.

Comments

• First of all, if you are useing access 97 make sure to use 3.51, now keep in mind that the computers you might want them to work on may not have access 97 installed. now I believe that that will mean that they will not have the version of the jet engine. so you may have to package it with that.

The easiest way to set you connection on those computers is to set up a dsn on each one of them, this will allow you to test the connection on each computer and isolate the problem.

Hope this helps.

: I have a progam in vb6 that connects to an access 97 database on NT4(some computers will be running XP). The program works fine on computers that have vb6 installed but does not work on other computers. Let me say, it will run on other computers but will not connect to the database stored on a shared drive. It generates the runtime error 3706 "provider not found. check to make sure it is properly installed". i have tried using the jet3.51 and 4.0, i have tried registering .dll files, i have installed countless files from the mdsn.com website dealing with this error and it hasnt helped. im sure that it has to be a file that is missing that is keeping it from locating the provider. what else can i do. please help.... thank you in advance.
    :

• : First of all, if you are useing access 97 make sure to use 3.51, now keep in mind that the computers you might want them to work on may not have access 97 installed. now I believe that that will mean that they will not have the version of the jet engine. so you may have to package it with that.
    :
    : The easiest way to set you connection on those computers is to set up a dsn on each one of them, this will allow you to test the connection on each computer and isolate the problem.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : I have a progam in vb6 that connects to an access 97 database on NT4(some computers will be running XP). The program works fine on computers that have vb6 installed but does not work on other computers. Let me say, it will run on other computers but will not connect to the database stored on a shared drive. It generates the runtime error 3706 "provider not found. check to make sure it is properly installed". i have tried using the jet3.51 and 4.0, i have tried registering .dll files, i have installed countless files from the mdsn.com website dealing with this error and it hasnt helped. im sure that it has to be a file that is missing that is keeping it from locating the provider. what else can i do. please help.... thank you in advance.
    : :
    :
    :

• : First of all, if you are useing access 97 make sure to use 3.51, now keep in mind that the computers you might want them to work on may not have access 97 installed. now I believe that that will mean that they will not have the version of the jet engine. so you may have to package it with that.
    :
    : The easiest way to set you connection on those computers is to set up a dsn on each one of them, this will allow you to test the connection on each computer and isolate the problem.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    :
    : each of the computers have access 97/ MSOffice installed. i have installed the jet .exe files from the msdn website on the individual computers and i have also packaged the files with the P and D wizard. Does it make a difference if it is installed with administrative access? it seemed to install properly without it. Would reinstalling office 97 help?
    :
    :
    : : I have a progam in vb6 that connects to an access 97 database on NT4(some computers will be running XP). The program works fine on computers that have vb6 installed but does not work on other computers. Let me say, it will run on other computers but will not connect to the database stored on a shared drive. It generates the runtime error 3706 "provider not found. check to make sure it is properly installed". i have tried using the jet3.51 and 4.0, i have tried registering .dll files, i have installed countless files from the mdsn.com website dealing with this error and it hasnt helped. im sure that it has to be a file that is missing that is keeping it from locating the provider. what else can i do. please help.... thank you in advance.
    : :
    :
    :

• : : each of the computers have access 97/ MSOffice installed. i have installed the jet .exe files from the msdn website on the individual computers and i have also packaged the files with the P and D wizard. Does it make a difference if it is installed with administrative access? it seemed to install properly without it. Would reinstalling office 97 help?
    :
    Did you include MDAC_TYP.EXE to your Package? Usually, it's icluded automaticaly but sometimes people removed it from package. If you did the same, you have to rebuild package with MDAC_TYP.EXE added. If you will continue have problem download Visual Studio Service Pack 5
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/updates/sp/vs6/sp5/default.aspx
    on developer machine. Then rebuild Package and do not forget to include MDAC_TYP.EXE to you package.