Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

C/C++ compiler independent from MSVCRT.DLL and CRTDLL.DLL

Hello,

I'm looking for a (if possible, but not necessarily, free) C/C++ compiler which produces executables that can run on any Win32 system, even those without MSVCRT.DLL and without CRTDLL.DLL, but I haven't found any website that discusses compilers considering this aspect.
I know that MSVCRT.DLL is missing only in the first Windows 95 release, and I've heard that CRTDLL.DLL is missing only in early Windows NT versions. And I know that even on these systems there is most likely installed some software that came with these DLL's so they are available anyway (or the user can download them if he has got access to the internet). So I understand if you find my question stupid.
But I like the idea that my applications run on any Win32 system no matter how old it is and which software is already installed on it. No need to tell the user to download any DLL.
And as far as I know I am not allowed to distribute Microsoft DLL's with my applications (unless I've got a license for MS Visual C++ or any other Microsoft compiler). However, even if it was allowed, it would require that the applications come with a setup program that installs the DLL (i.e. 'self-contained' executables are not possible) and it would unnecessarily bloat the setup file.

Thanks in advance,
Mathias

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : Hello,
    :
    : I'm looking for a (if possible, but not necessarily, free) C/C++ compiler which produces executables that can run on any Win32 system, even those without MSVCRT.DLL and without CRTDLL.DLL, but I haven't found any website that discusses compilers considering this aspect.
    : I know that MSVCRT.DLL is missing only in the first Windows 95 release, and I've heard that CRTDLL.DLL is missing only in early Windows NT versions. And I know that even on these systems there is most likely installed some software that came with these DLL's so they are available anyway (or the user can download them if he has got access to the internet). So I understand if you find my question stupid.
    : But I like the idea that my applications run on any Win32 system no matter how old it is and which software is already installed on it. No need to tell the user to download any DLL.
    : And as far as I know I am not allowed to distribute Microsoft DLL's with my applications (unless I've got a license for MS Visual C++ or any other Microsoft compiler). However, even if it was allowed, it would require that the applications come with a setup program that installs the DLL (i.e. 'self-contained' executables are not possible) and it would unnecessarily bloat the setup file.
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Mathias
    :
    [blue]I do not see a problem here - just use VC++ 6.0 to build the pure Win32 application and it will NOT depend on anyone. I do that all the time - just an EXE file and it works even on Win95.[/blue]
  • arctophylaxarctophylax Member Posts: 2
    : : I'm looking for a (if possible, but not necessarily, free) C/C++ compiler which produces executables that can run on any Win32 system, even those without MSVCRT.DLL and without CRTDLL.DLL (...)

: [blue]I do not see a problem here - just use VC++ 6.0 to build the pure Win32 application and it will NOT depend on anyone. I do that all the time - just an EXE file and it works even on Win95.[/blue]

Hello,

didn't know it was *that* easy... :-)

Thanks heaps,
    Mathias