Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Accessing SQL Server from another computer using VB.NET

pg81pg81 Posts: 10Member
Hi...

Please help. I am developing a CD Store system using VB.NET. I have 2 computers working so that I can do networking. I tried accessing a table in my SQL Server in Computer A from Computer B. I don't seem to be able to do so. I dunno what's wrong. Computer says that it can't detect the computer. I've already created a login and password for SQL Authentication. Can anyone please help me with this? I am doing a project that needs networking. What are the basic requirements for networking? If I get the SQL Server problem running, does that mean I have networking already??

BTW, can anyone please be my advisor for VB.NET, SQL SERVER 2000? I'd really appreciate it. I have 2 weeks to complete my project and no lecturer is at hand that I can bring my problems to. SOS!! Thanks

Victor =)

Comments

• WolfsbaneWolfsbane Posts: 12Member
    Do you have a DNS server or a WINS server? If not you will need to insert the IP address of the server you wish to connect to into your connection string.

: Hi...
    :
    : Please help. I am developing a CD Store system using VB.NET. I have 2 computers working so that I can do networking. I tried accessing a table in my SQL Server in Computer A from Computer B. I don't seem to be able to do so. I dunno what's wrong. Computer says that it can't detect the computer. I've already created a login and password for SQL Authentication. Can anyone please help me with this? I am doing a project that needs networking. What are the basic requirements for networking? If I get the SQL Server problem running, does that mean I have networking already??
    :
    : BTW, can anyone please be my advisor for VB.NET, SQL SERVER 2000? I'd really appreciate it. I have 2 weeks to complete my project and no lecturer is at hand that I can bring my problems to. SOS!! Thanks
    :
    : Victor =)
    :

• rikb53rikb53 Posts: 67Member ✭✭
    i always use the Server Explorer in VB dot Net. Make it do the work. if that other PC is online, this will find / or not find it.
    ive done a bunch of these projects and im not really trained in SQL server, but, VB seems to make the task really simple

: Do you have a DNS server or a WINS server? If not you will need to insert the IP address of the server you wish to connect to into your connection string.
    :
    : : Hi...
    : :
    : : Please help. I am developing a CD Store system using VB.NET. I have 2 computers working so that I can do networking. I tried accessing a table in my SQL Server in Computer A from Computer B. I don't seem to be able to do so. I dunno what's wrong. Computer says that it can't detect the computer. I've already created a login and password for SQL Authentication. Can anyone please help me with this? I am doing a project that needs networking. What are the basic requirements for networking? If I get the SQL Server problem running, does that mean I have networking already??
    : : BTW, can anyone please be my advisor for VB.NET, SQL SERVER 2000? I'd really appreciate it. I have 2 weeks to complete my project and no lecturer is at hand that I can bring my problems to. SOS!! Thanks
    : : Victor =)
    :
    :