Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

how to grab random questions from file?

derasderas Posts: 3Member
i have a test script which grabs 5 of 5 questions from nine different categories (Question [1-9]) as shown...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
open FDESK, "questions.txt" or die print "
Cannot open file questions.txt: $!";
flock FDESK, LOCK_SH;
@quest=;
close FDESK;
chomp @quest;
$num=1;
for ($i=0; $i<=$#quest; $i++)
{
next unless $quest[$i]=~/Question [1-9]/;
for ($j=1; $j<=5; $j++)
--------------------------------------------------------------

i want to increase the number of questions to @15 in questions.txt and then have the script randomly select 5 questions out of those 15 (not the first five everytime). how would i implement such a randomized question grabbing in the above code?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    Hi,

Different context, same solution. Time for my random array element selection one-liner again. :-)

Put all your questions in @questions - one question in each array element (that's what you're doing now, I think). Then do this:-

@chosen = grep {$::z++ < 5} sort { int(rand() * 2) } @questions, $::z = 0;

@chosen will contain 5 questions out of @questions, randomly selected. If you're not sure how it works, here's the explanation I posted last time I pulled this one out:-

http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=12&MsgID=218626&Setting=A9999F0003

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• derasderas Posts: 3Member
    the thing is there are nine categories of questions, Question 1, Question 2... so i want 5 random questions from each of the nine categories.

: Hi,
    :
    : Different context, same solution. Time for my random array element selection one-liner again. :-)
    :
    : Put all your questions in @questions - one question in each array element (that's what you're doing now, I think). Then do this:-
    :
    : @chosen = grep {$::z++ < 5} sort { int(rand() * 2) } @questions, $::z = 0;
    :
    : @chosen will contain 5 questions out of @questions, randomly selected. If you're not sure how it works, here's the explanation I posted last time I pulled this one out:-
    :
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=12&MsgID=218626&Setting=A9999F0003
    :
    : Hope this helps,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : the thing is there are nine categories of questions, Question 1,
    : Question 2... so i want 5 random questions from each of the nine
    : categories.
    OK, so you have an array of arrays (actually, an array of array references). Then you loop over the main array with the 9 groups of questions in, and use the code I gave you to select 5 questions from each group.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");