encryption and decryption

I am putting my code from my project on here to ask for help..........
i want to use letters and not symbols and every time i encrypt it it uses symbols.

so please someone help me by altering or adjusting my code to help it just use letters

Snd.PlaySound "C:sounds ada.wav"
Message = Text1.Text
Key = Text2.Text
For i = 1 To Len(Message)
If Text2.Text = "" Then GoTo num
textChar = Mid(Message, i, 1)
keyChar = Mid(Key, (i Mod Len(Key)) + 1)
encryptedChar = Asc(textChar) Xor Asc(keyChar)
EncryptedMessage = EncryptedMessage & Chr(encryptedChar)
Next
Text3.Text = EncryptedMessage
GoTo past
num:
MsgBox ("Please enter an Encryption Key")
past:

thank you for your help!!!

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by NIN666 at 2004-1-7 10:53:33[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am putting my code from my project on here to ask for help..........
    : i want to use letters and not symbols and every time i encrypt it it uses symbols.
    :
    : so please someone help me by altering or adjusting my code to help it just use letters
    :
    : Snd.PlaySound "C:sounds ada.wav"
    : Message = Text1.Text
    : Key = Text2.Text
    : For i = 1 To Len(Message)
    : If Text2.Text = "" Then GoTo num
    : textChar = Mid(Message, i, 1)
    : keyChar = Mid(Key, (i Mod Len(Key)) + 1[red],1[/red])
    : encryptedChar = [red]Chr([/red]Asc(textChar) Xor Asc(keyChar)[red])[/red]
    : EncryptedMessage = EncryptedMessage [red]+ encryptedChar[/red]
    : Next
    : Text3.Text = EncryptedMessage
    : GoTo past
    : num:
    : MsgBox ("Please enter an Encryption Key")
    : past:
    :
    :
    : thank you for your help!!!
    :

Look at the red and try that, I think it's what you are asking for.
    [hr]Ethereal software and Mag monitors, doesn't get much better now does it?

• : Look at the red and try that, I think it's what you are asking for.

Nope. In VB (which is what he's using), those two lines are essentially identical to what he already had. I think what he's after is input validation/filtering though he's not yet responded to my post.
  • : : Look at the red and try that, I think it's what you are asking for.
    :
    : Nope. In VB (which is what he's using), those two lines are essentially identical to what he already had. I think what he's after is input validation/filtering though he's not yet responded to my post.
    :

Well I've written encryption programs before, in VB too, and if that's not what he wanted I don't think I know what he actually wants. =/

• hey guys that was close but i want to be able to take the symbols out all of them and just have letters thats it just letters.

The corrections that were made was what i was looking for but i would like to take out a few more symbols using the mod function

• : hey guys that was close but i want to be able to take the symbols out all of them and just have letters thats it just letters.
    :
    : The corrections that were made was what i was looking for but i would like to take out a few more symbols using the mod function
    :
    :
    :

That is another problem altogether. If I understand right now, you want to only have a-z A-Z 0-9?

• : That is another problem altogether. If I understand right now, you want to only have a-z A-Z 0-9?
    : [hr]Ethereal software and Mag monitors, doesn't get much better now does it?
    :
    :
    yeah thats exactly what i want to use a-z A-Z 0-9 and that is it
    would i have to change my code all together
    or not?
    thanks

• [b][red]This message was edited by NIN666 at 2004-1-9 12:10:38[/red][/b][hr]
    : : That is another problem altogether. If I understand right now, you want to only have a-z A-Z 0-9?
    : : [hr]Ethereal software and Mag monitors, doesn't get much better now does it?
    : :
    : yeah thats exactly what i want to use a-z A-Z 0-9 and that is it
    : would i have to change my code all together
    : or not?
    : thanks
    :
    :

I would recommend you writing your own function for adding to the characters and subtracting so that it bound the character to those ranges, I believe they are in some sort of sequential order, but if not you just make sure it jumps over characters it shouldnt use. Know what I mean? Sort of like writing a specific Xor function, this may not be the easiest way to fix the problem, but it would work.

• : : That is another problem altogether. If I understand right now, you want to only have a-z A-Z 0-9?
    : : [hr]Ethereal software and Mag monitors, doesn't get much better now does it?
    : yeah thats exactly what i want to use a-z A-Z 0-9 and that is it
    : would i have to change my code all together
    : or not?

How about this? Create a 62-character string containing the characters 0-9, A-Z and a-z in ascii order. To encrypt a character, look it up in the string with INSTR() and add (MOD 62) a key value to the result, then output the character at that position.

Note that this is an extremely weak cypher. If, instead of a constant key value, you use a sequence of random (*really* random, from coin-flipping, a BINGO machine, etc.) values as long as the message, it becomes an extremely strong cypher called a "one-time pad." If the key sequence is truly random, and you use each sequence for just one message, a one-time pad isn't even theoretically crackable, even with infinite resources, because a cyphertext could represent *any* message of the same length, and there is no way to decide (without the key) which one is correct.

Between these extremes, various methods can be used to convert a short key into a pseudorandom sequence. If you're serious, Bruce Schneier's "Applied Cryptography", 2nd ed., will tell you more than you probably want to know about modern computer crypto.