So I create a very simple XMLRPC server in Python by gluing together the necessary parts from built-in and third-party modules and create a simple VB client that uses MSXML to call it. Then I set up a loop to call an Oracle stored procedure via my python server 1000 times, and a similar loop to call the exact same stored procedure 1000 times via our ActiveX DLL in COM+. The XMLRPC loop took one third as long as the COM+ DLL loop.
Then I ran three instances of the looping program at the same time and the python loops took about three times as long as the original run, but the COM+ loops were still running after ten minutes.
I went to our lead developer to brag about python smoking our COM+ DLL in trivial scalability tests and now I am assigned to figuring out why the COM+ DLL becomes such a bottleneck and trying to fix it. OY.
Here's a way to fix it... switch to python.
$ select * from users where clue > 0
no rows returned