FileSystem

[b][red]This message was edited by baheebs at 2004-2-29 8:27:28[/red][/b][hr]
Hi, thanks for looking at my question!

Basically I have a small operating system I have made with MASM on a floppy disk. I also have a boot loader on it (unfortunately I did not create this). I want to be able to basically have a method of writing files to the disk space after the end of my kernel file, and then be able to read them back off again.

Obviously I cannot use MSDOS interrupts as MSDOS is not running. I dont really expect someone to give me a complete code block for this, but can anyone point me to a page where there is one, or where I can find out how to do this?

(I have seen Interrupt 13h Service 3h but i cannot find how to write to a floppy disk using it. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful.)

Thanks for your time,
james.

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by baheebs at 2004-2-29 8:27:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi, thanks for looking at my question!
    :
    : Basically I have a small operating system I have made with MASM on a floppy disk. I also have a boot loader on it (unfortunately I did not create this). I want to be able to basically have a method of writing files to the disk space after the end of my kernel file, and then be able to read them back off again.
    :
    : Obviously I cannot use MSDOS interrupts as MSDOS is not running. I dont really expect someone to give me a complete code block for this, but can anyone point me to a page where there is one, or where I can find out how to do this?
    :
    : (I have seen Interrupt 13h Service 3h but i cannot find how to write to a floppy disk using it. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful.)
    :
    : Thanks for your time,
    : james.
    :
    Hi
    The best thing to do is go to this site:

http://alexfru.chat.ru/epm.html

And get "bootprog.zip" ,This is a bootloader that loads a file from the floppy.
    It can be a exe or com file ,you call it a name say kernel16.exe and it will boot it off any were on the disk,It looks for that name.
    This makes it good for testing your kernel,Make a change put it on the floppy like any other file and test it. :-).

This comes with nasm code so you can see how its done.it also has code for booting from HD.(fat12 and fat16).
    Hope this helps.

ASHLEY4.
  • : : [b][red]This message was edited by baheebs at 2004-2-29 8:27:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi, thanks for looking at my question!
    : :
    : : Basically I have a small operating system I have made with MASM on a floppy disk. I also have a boot loader on it (unfortunately I did not create this). I want to be able to basically have a method of writing files to the disk space after the end of my kernel file, and then be able to read them back off again.
    : : Obviously I cannot use MSDOS interrupts as MSDOS is not running. I dont really expect someone to give me a complete code block for this, but can anyone point me to a page where there is one, or where I can find out how to do this?
    : : (I have seen Interrupt 13h Service 3h but i cannot find how to write to a floppy disk using it. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful.)
    : : Thanks for your time,
    : : james.
    : Hi
    : The best thing to do is go to this site:
    :
    : http://alexfru.chat.ru/epm.html
    :
    : And get "bootprog.zip" ,This is a bootloader that loads a file from the floppy.
    : It can be a exe or com file ,you call it a name say kernel16.exe and it will boot it off any were on the disk,It looks for that name.
    : This makes it good for testing your kernel,Make a change put it on the floppy like any other file and test it. :-).
    :
    : This comes with nasm code so you can see how its done.it also has code for booting from HD.(fat12 and fat16).
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : ASHLEY4.
    :
    PS. Do not use any dos int's (eg int 21h), but you can use bios int's.

ASHLEY4.
  • take a look at
    http://www.geocities.com/macrotechonline/files.htm

: [b][red]This message was edited by baheebs at 2004-2-29 8:27:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi, thanks for looking at my question!
    :
    : Basically I have a small operating system I have made with MASM on a floppy disk. I also have a boot loader on it (unfortunately I did not create this). I want to be able to basically have a method of writing files to the disk space after the end of my kernel file, and then be able to read them back off again.
    :
    : Obviously I cannot use MSDOS interrupts as MSDOS is not running. I dont really expect someone to give me a complete code block for this, but can anyone point me to a page where there is one, or where I can find out how to do this?
    :
    : (I have seen Interrupt 13h Service 3h but i cannot find how to write to a floppy disk using it. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful.)
    :
    : Thanks for your time,
    : james.
    :
    :
    :