Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

get all file extensions in comobox or list

MiodragBMiodragB Member Posts: 21
is it possible to load all file extensions from windows or registry into combobox or list
how to do that
i am using vb6 Enterp. Edit. and win98se

Comments

• infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : is it possible to load all file extensions from windows or registry into combobox or list
    : how to do that
    : i am using vb6 Enterp. Edit. and win98se

Sure, but why?

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• MiodragBMiodragB Member Posts: 21
    : : is it possible to load all file extensions from windows or registry into combobox or list
    : : how to do that
    : : i am using vb6 Enterp. Edit. and win98se
    :
    : Sure, but why?
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :

i am using filelistbox in my project to show all files in selected directory and i want to give option to user to select file type that will be shown in filelistbox

FileListBox.Pattern= *.txt or *.mp3 etc.

so i would like to load all file types registered in windows into combobox or listbox

can you help me
    thank`s

• Bulgarian_VBBulgarian_VB Member Posts: 307
    : : : is it possible to load all file extensions from windows or registry into combobox or list
    : : : how to do that
    : : : i am using vb6 Enterp. Edit. and win98se
    : :
    : : Sure, but why?
    : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : [code]
    : : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : : no rows returned
    : : [/code]
    :
    : i am using filelistbox in my project to show all files in selected directory and i want to give option to user to select file type that will be shown in filelistbox
    :
    : FileListBox.Pattern= *.txt or *.mp3 etc.
    :
    : so i would like to load all file types registered in windows into combobox or listbox
    :
    : can you help me
    : thank`s
    :
    :
    ok... why not list all files in the specified folder and save their extensions in an array (no duplicates). then you'll have a list of file types in that folder.

the problem with using Registry is that is has information for [b]registered[/b] file types only. so if you browse a folder which contains a file which type is not registered, it will not be listed.

if you want to get description for each file type, you will have to use the Regitry. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT... explore it a little. you will see that every registered file type has the following structure in the registry:
    [code]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT .
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    [/code]

interesting stuff.... :-)
    Hope I helped,
    Nikolay Semov

• infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : the problem with using Registry is that is has information for [b]registered[/b] file types only. so if you browse a folder which contains a file which type is not registered, it will not be listed.

That, and the registry has a gazillion extensions registered, typically. Well, at least a couple hundred.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• MiodragBMiodragB Member Posts: 21
    : : : : is it possible to load all file extensions from windows or registry into combobox or list
    : : : : how to do that
    : : : : i am using vb6 Enterp. Edit. and win98se
    : : :
    : : : Sure, but why?
    : : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : : [code]
    : : : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : : : no rows returned
    : : : [/code]
    : : i am using filelistbox in my project to show all files in selected directory and i want to give option to user to select file type that will be shown in filelistbox
    : : FileListBox.Pattern= *.txt or *.mp3 etc.
    : : so i would like to load all file types registered in windows into combobox or listbox
    : : can you help me
    : : thank`s
    : ok... why not list all files in the specified folder and save their extensions in an array (no duplicates). then you'll have a list of file types in that folder.
    :
    : the problem with using Registry is that is has information for [b]registered[/b] file types only. so if you browse a folder which contains a file which type is not registered, it will not be listed.
    :
    : if you want to get description for each file type, you will have to use the Regitry. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT... explore it a little. you will see that every registered file type has the following structure in the registry:
    : [code]
    :
    :
    : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT .
    : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    : [/code]
    :
    : interesting stuff.... :-)
    : Hope I helped,
    : Nikolay Semov
    :