Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

hi, i'm new here, with several questions about pascal (windows pascal)

kimkkimk Posts: 1Member
my knowledge of pascal doesn't amount to much. i'm doing a coursework project for school. its kinda pressing on time, which is why i've turned to the net.

question1) how do i make a file, write into it, delete/edit stuff from it ? this meaning i want to make a text/dat file into a specified path (eg, C:windowsdesktop est.txt)

i know its got something to do with 'reset', and 'rewrite' procedures. but i have no clue as to how to actually use them. i need to know how to make, write into, overwrite, delete, edit the file and its contents.

question2) how do i print?
i know its got to do with the uses commands. i use wincrt. teacher tells me i need to figure out some other 'win*' thingy that will allow me to communicate with the printer.

so what is the syntax to print stuff?

in both cases, a short sample program would be greatly appreciated.

some side questions, not of as great an importance;
question3)
how do i make sounds? is it..

program makeSound;
uses wincrt;

begin
sound(##) {where ## = integer}
end.

?
and if i'm right, then wat is the number for middle C? does increasing the number by 1 increase the note by semitone(C to C#) or whole tone?(C to D, skipping C#)

question4)
how do i stop for a specified period of time? halt(##) {where ## = number of seconds) ? or stop(##) ? what is the syntax for that?
thanks.
-kimk

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : my knowledge of pascal doesn't amount to much. i'm doing a coursework project for school. its kinda pressing on time, which is why i've turned to the net.
    :
    : question1) how do i make a file, write into it, delete/edit stuff from it ? this meaning i want to make a text/dat file into a specified path (eg, C:windowsdesktop est.txt)
    :
    : i know its got something to do with 'reset', and 'rewrite' procedures. but i have no clue as to how to actually use them. i need to know how to make, write into, overwrite, delete, edit the file and its contents.

Here is a small sample code to create and read a textfile:
    [code]
    var
    f: text;
    begin
    Assign(f, 'Somefilename.txt'); // Link the file variable to a filename
    Rewrite(f); // Create or overwrite the file
    writeln(f, 'A line'); // write a whole line
    write(f, 'A word '); // write part of a line
    writeln(f, 'continuing the line'); // finish the line
    Close(f); // close the file again
    end;

{ reading: this code dumps the whole file on a console-screen }

var
    f: text;
    s: string;
    begin
    Assign(f, 'Somefilename.txt'); // Link the file variable to a filename
    Reset(f); // Create or overwrite the file
    while not eof(f) do
    begin
    readln(f, s);
    write(s);
    end;
    Close(f); // close the file again
    end;
    [/code]
    You cannot directly edit or delete (parts of) lines in a text file. To delete a line you need to copy the file except the lines you want to delete. The same goes for editing lines.
    :
    : question2) how do i print?
    : i know its got to do with the uses commands. i use wincrt. teacher tells me i need to figure out some other 'win*' thingy that will allow me to communicate with the printer.
    :
    : so what is the syntax to print stuff?
    :
    : in both cases, a short sample program would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    In Borland's Pascal (Turbo or Delphi) you can use the AssignPrn() to open a "text-file" to the printer. Then you can write text to the paper. For a code see above.
    :
    : some side questions, not of as great an importance;
    : question3)
    : how do i make sounds? is it..
    :
    : program makeSound;
    : uses wincrt;
    :
    : begin
    : sound(##) {where ## = integer}
    : end.
    :
    : ?
    : and if i'm right, then wat is the number for middle C? does increasing the number by 1 increase the note by semitone(C to C#) or whole tone?(C to D, skipping C#)
    :
    The Sound() function takes the frequency of the tone. I know that the middle A is 44 kHz. You can find the others on the internet or a good music book. It is also possible to calcuate the other tones, but I don't know the formula of that calculation.
    :
    : question4)
    : how do i stop for a specified period of time? halt(##) {where ## = number of seconds) ? or stop(##) ? what is the syntax for that?
    : thanks.
    : -kimk
    :
    Halt() completely terminates the program and gives the errorcode ## to the OS. You need to use the Delay() function for that. See the help files for more information on that function and other functions you mentioned.
  • netgertnetgert Posts: 331Member
    : question3)
    : how do i make sounds? is it..
    :
    : program makeSound;
    : uses wincrt;
    :
    : begin
    : sound(##) {where ## = integer}
    : end.
    :
    : ?
    : and if i'm right, then wat is the number for middle C? does increasing the number by 1 increase the note by semitone(C to C#) or whole tone?(C to D, skipping C#)
    :
    :
    : question4)
    : how do i stop for a specified period of time? halt(##) {where ## = number of seconds) ? or stop(##) ? what is the syntax for that?
    : thanks.
    : -kimk
    :
    a3)
    yes u use sound() but u need to figure out the frequcy of that tone. i can tell u the different between full tones is 440 (Hz) but i dont know where it starts from (that's up to you to figure out, consult your music instructor)
    a4)
    u pause with delay(milliseconds). make sound, pause, and then make another sound or stop sound with nosound; (i might be wrong too, i havent done sounds very much)
    [hr][red][italic][b]N[/b][/red][blue]et[/blue][red][b]G[/b][/red][blue]ert[/italic][/blue][hr]

• Johnny13Johnny13 Posts: 128Member
    : u pause with delay(milliseconds). make sound, pause, and then make another sound or stop sound with nosound; (i might be wrong too, i havent done sounds very much)
    :
    :
    but it seems if you use any functions in the CRT unit
    (sound,nosound,delay,readkey..) you will get a stupid "Runtime error 200" :p
    another way is to rewrite these functions in asm..
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : : u pause with delay(milliseconds). make sound, pause, and then make another sound or stop sound with nosound; (i might be wrong too, i havent done sounds very much)
    : :
    : :
    : but it seems if you use any functions in the CRT unit
    : (sound,nosound,delay,readkey..) you will get a stupid "Runtime error 200" :p
    : another way is to rewrite these functions in asm..
    :
    Or download them from the internet, for those of us who cannot code in asm.