Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Boot Disk

y2keabley2keable Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I'm making a program that must go on a floppy disk and be inserted to the drive before startup. i need the computer to boot off the program i make on the floppy disk. anyone know how to do this? is there a sertian file that the computer is looking for once it knows there is a disk in the drive? one more thing...how does it work for an optical drive too?

cheers

Comments

• poetfreakpoetfreak Member Posts: 68
    : I'm making a program that must go on a floppy disk and be inserted to the drive before startup. i need the computer to boot off the program i make on the floppy disk. anyone know how to do this? is there a sertian file that the computer is looking for once it knows there is a disk in the drive? one more thing...how does it work for an optical drive too?
    :
    : cheers
    :

go to run in windows and type "command" for windows 95,98,me or "cmd" for NT,2000, or XP.

and the command prompt (c:>) type:
    format a:/s

which formats the disk and puts an operating system on it.
    then type:
    EXIT

to quit dos mode.
    now put your program on the disk (it must be dos, you can't run a windows program from a floppy because the whole windows GUI can't fit on a floppy.)

then open notepad and enter:
    myprogram.exe

(change the above to the name of your executable)
    then save it (Control-S) on the floppy as A:autoexec.bat and quit. Thats all there is to it.

now when you boot your disk your program will automaticly run when the computer is booted from your floppy.

• poetfreakpoetfreak Member Posts: 68
    : : I'm making a program that must go on a floppy disk and be inserted to the drive before startup. i need the computer to boot off the program i make on the floppy disk. anyone know how to do this? is there a sertian file that the computer is looking for once it knows there is a disk in the drive? one more thing...how does it work for an optical drive too?
    : :
    : : cheers
    : :
    :
    : go to run in windows and type "command" for windows 95,98,me or "cmd" for NT,2000, or XP.
    :
    : and the command prompt (c:>) type:
    : format a:/s
    :
    : which formats the disk and puts an operating system on it.
    : then type:
    : EXIT
    :
    : to quit dos mode.
    : now put your program on the disk (it must be dos, you can't run a windows program from a floppy because the whole windows GUI can't fit on a floppy.)
    :
    : then open notepad and enter:
    : myprogram.exe
    :
    : (change the above to the name of your executable)
    : then save it (Control-S) on the floppy as A:autoexec.bat and quit. Thats all there is to it.
    :
    : now when you boot your disk your program will automaticly run when the computer is booted from your floppy.
    :
    :
    :
    Oh, afterwards you can take this floppy and CDR-Win and create an ISO and add the floppy to the boot and it will work the same from the CD but your gonna have to read the CDRwin documentation as it would take me forever to explain it here and it is already talked about in the help file for the program. (It's free BTW)