open a file (commondialog??)

I am trying to write a module in Access 2000, which really only should open a little window, like the one you use, when you open a file (as you do x times a day...) - and which should return a variable with the path name.
I've tried with different commanddialog functions, but I always get an error message saying 'object not found!.

What dim's, objects and commands do I need to use???

many thanx for any help!!!

Comments

• : I am trying to write a module in Access 2000, which really only should open a little window, like the one you use, when you open a file (as you do x times a day...) - and which should return a variable with the path name.
    : I've tried with different commanddialog functions, but I always get an error message saying 'object not found!.
    :
    : What dim's, objects and commands do I need to use???
    :
    : many thanx for any help!!!
    :
    Hi, did you initialize the object correctly?
    Tools/References/Browse, select *.ocx files,
    choose WinDirSystem(32)Comdlg32.ocx

When I tried just to check the Microsoft Common Dialog 6.0 (SP3) it didn't work.. (It told me invalid use of NEW keyword).. I don't know why

[code]Option Compare Database

Private cdbFile As MSComDlg.CommonDialog

Sub SubShowOpen()
    Set cdbFile = New MSComDlg.CommonDialog

cdbFile.Filter = "Text file *.txt|*.txt"
    cdbFile.ShowOpen
    MsgBox cdbFile.FileName
    End Sub[/code]

And it should work

PavlinII
  • : : I am trying to write a module in Access 2000, which really only should open a little window, like the one you use, when you open a file (as you do x times a day...) - and which should return a variable with the path name.
    : : I've tried with different commanddialog functions, but I always get an error message saying 'object not found!.
    : :
    : : What dim's, objects and commands do I need to use???
    : : many thanx for any help!!!
    : Hi, did you initialize the object correctly?
    : Tools/References/Browse, select *.ocx files,
    : choose WinDirSystem(32)Comdlg32.ocx
    :
    : When I tried just to check the Microsoft Common Dialog 6.0 (SP3) it didn't work.. (It told me invalid use of NEW keyword).. I don't know why
    :
    : [code]Option Compare Database
    :
    : Private cdbFile As MSComDlg.CommonDialog
    :
    : Sub SubShowOpen()
    : Set cdbFile = New MSComDlg.CommonDialog
    :
    : cdbFile.Filter = "Text file *.txt|*.txt"
    : cdbFile.ShowOpen
    : MsgBox cdbFile.FileName
    : End Sub[/code]
    :
    : And it should work
    :
    : PavlinII
    :

You are trying the create a control with new. VB doesn't allow that!
    You are going to have to find another way! (There are API's, actually: The MSComDlg uses these API's!)

Greets...
    Richard