system("PAUSE")

how does 'system("PAUSE")' actually *work*? like how should i go about making my own ones with custom messages?

Comments

• : how does 'system("PAUSE")' actually *work*? like how should i go about making my own ones with custom messages?
    :
    :

the system() function just simply executes other programs. In you example it runs the MS-DOS command.com (or cmd.exe) internal function named "pause". You can test this out yourself by typing "pause" in a command prompt.
  • So is this you make a program that runs multiple programs within it? If I wanted to make a program that sequentially ran three different .exe's inside it, would the code look somewhat like this?

int main()
    {
    system("program1.exe");
    system("program2.exe");
    system("program3.exe");
    }

• : So is this you make a program that runs multiple programs within it? If I wanted to make a program that sequentially ran three different .exe's inside it, would the code look somewhat like this?
    :
    : int main()
    : {
    : system("program1.exe");
    : system("program2.exe");
    : system("program3.exe");
    : }

Well, you could, but you risk problems with certain procedures the programs may run internally. It might crash. Here is some code that compiles under Borland C/C++ 4.52 for DOS that puts a pause message on screen. And you can control the message.
    [code]
    #include //Includes necessary header files, old style
    #include

int main(void) //The venerable main function
    {
    clrscr(); //Clears the screen
    gotoxy(5,22); // Places the cursor back at the bottom and left
    cout << "Hit <Enter> to continue..."; // Displays message
    cin.get(); // Waits for enter key
    return(0); // Returns 0 so DOS doesn't flip out
    }
    [/code]
  • : So is this you make a program that runs multiple programs within it? If I wanted to make a program that sequentially ran three different .exe's inside it, would the code look somewhat like this?
    :
    : int main()
    : {
    : system("program1.exe");
    : system("program2.exe");
    : system("program3.exe");
    : }
    :
    :
    :

yes, that's one of several ways to do it.