Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to work with an access database?

VB NewbieVB Newbie Member Posts: 206
Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1) I have made an access database with data about certain products:
Product-description, Product-id and Product-price.
Now i want to populate a combobox with the product-description data.
When i user selects a product, I want 2 labels showing the corresponding product-id en product-price.
2) I also want the user to alter, delete and add records to the database. Is the DataGrid component best for it?

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    : Hi,
    :
    : I have 2 questions:
    :
    : 1) I have made an access database with data about certain products:
    : Product-description, Product-id and Product-price.
    : Now i want to populate a combobox with the product-description data.
    : When i user selects a product, I want 2 labels showing the corresponding product-id en product-price.
    : 2) I also want the user to alter, delete and add records to the database. Is the DataGrid component best for it?
    :

The data grid will allow you to do this in a visual manner(alter data that is) for the combo box, I would recommend Using ADO Code and a While Not .EOF Loop - if you don't know any ADO Stuff - post back and I'll whip up an example for you - I would now but I have to leave for work.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• VB NewbieVB Newbie Member Posts: 206
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I have 2 questions:
    : : 1) I have made an access database with data about certain products:
    : : Product-description, Product-id and Product-price.
    : : Now i want to populate a combobox with the product-description data.
    : : When i user selects a product, I want 2 labels showing the corresponding product-id en product-price.
    : : 2) I also want the user to alter, delete and add records to the database. Is the DataGrid component best for it?
    :
    :
    : The data grid will allow you to do this in a visual manner(alter data that is) for the combo box, I would recommend Using ADO Code and a While Not .EOF Loop - if you don't know any ADO Stuff - post back and I'll whip up an example for you - I would now but I have to leave for work.
    : [blue]
    : C:Dos
    : C:Dos Run
    : Run Dos Run
    : [/blue]
    :

Thanks for your help Dos,

I just have one more question.
    I have decided to make an access db programmaticaly.
    I already know how to do that, and already know how a user can specify the path for the access db that my application creates.
    Now my question:
    I have a DataGrid that i want to display the access db.
    Now at design time, i have to specify the path to the access db that the DataGrid must use, but becouse the user specifys the path when the programm makes the access db, i don't know that path!
    So is there any way to tell the DataGrid at runtime where to look for the access db?

Thanks

VB Newbie

• d3v1lmand3v1lman Member Posts: 66
    As long as the db stays in the same folder as your app, you could always use the [code]App.Path & "[italic]filename[/italic]"[/code]
    To ERR is human, but to really f**k something up requires a computer...

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : I have 2 questions:
    : : : 1) I have made an access database with data about certain products:
    : : : Product-description, Product-id and Product-price.
    : : : Now i want to populate a combobox with the product-description data.
    : : : When i user selects a product, I want 2 labels showing the corresponding product-id en product-price.
    : : : 2) I also want the user to alter, delete and add records to the database. Is the DataGrid component best for it?
    : : The data grid will allow you to do this in a visual manner(alter data that is) for the combo box, I would recommend Using ADO Code and a While Not .EOF Loop - if you don't know any ADO Stuff - post back and I'll whip up an example for you - I would now but I have to leave for work.
    : : [blue]
    : : C:Dos
    : : C:Dos Run
    : : Run Dos Run
    : : [/blue]
    :
    : Thanks for your help Dos,
    :
    : I just have one more question.
    : I have decided to make an access db programmaticaly.
    : I already know how to do that, and already know how a user can specify the path for the access db that my application creates.
    : Now my question:
    : I have a DataGrid that i want to display the access db.
    : Now at design time, i have to specify the path to the access db that the DataGrid must use, but becouse the user specifys the path when the programm makes the access db, i don't know that path!
    : So is there any way to tell the DataGrid at runtime where to look for the access db?
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : VB Newbie
    :
    :

Basicly if you use the open Dialog to allow the user to pick there path to save the db - you can use the dialog contols -- I think it's .filename property and it will return the full path and filename of the db in question - and you could set it in a string variable and concat. it into your datasource path.

[blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]